Pinhead rust pots all over my 07 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MizzouRah

Reaction score
This is my first post and I searched whether this topic has been discussed but apparently not.

I have an 07 White Tahoe and beginning in the fall of 07 I noticed all these small rust spots located on both sides and on the rear of my Tahoe. I called the dealer and was told that the paint isn't defective and it is due to atmospheric fallout.

Sounds like a crock of ***** to me. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks.

chris6789

Reaction score
re: rust spots

where are u? depending on where you are, fallout is possible. if u live n detroit or around alot of heavy smoke filled areas like auto manufacturers, u can get "acid rain". however, this usually only affects top surfaces, hood and roof. also, rock chips can cause these small spots to rust. do u live in an environment with snowy winters? salt corrosion is another possibility but unlikely. I would take the tahoe to a reputable body shop and have them check it for pinholes in the undercoats(primer and sealer). sometimes, manufacturers don't clean their paint equipment well enough and some solvents could have mixed with the paint or undercoats causing pinholes to the metal surface which would rust. even if this isn't the case, gm warranties all their paint jobs so they should fix it. good luck!

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go mental if my 2007 anything had rust on it.

I just found the first rust on the body of my 99 and IM STILL PISSY ABOUT IT !(*!*&$ DONT LET THE DEALERSHIP SNOW YOU.

YukonMud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also note that what ever some cities put on their roads can do major damage. I had not a single spot of rust on my '93 until I moved to Eastern Washington for school. There they spray aircraft deicer all over all the time. This $h!t is bad! After the first winter I got rust on my lug nuts and center caps of my wheels and on the back of my trailer hitch. From that point on I had the dealership undercoat everything from the body to the frame to the hitch etc. every year. Once I moved back to Western Washington I had everything undercoated with Line X.

Once I fall into some money, as if that will hapen anytime soon, I want to media blast everything and get it done right.

stormn

Reaction score
I have a white 93 Yukon. Every Couple of years I have to do a high speed buff with a product such as Meguiar's step 1 paint cleaner. Cleans the industrial fallout right off. All cars have it but it shows worse on white. Put a couple of coats of high quality wax,makes it easier to clean. Rustproofing? A tar or wax base product doesn't work. Here in the rust belt of S. Ont. we use an annual oil base product. My 15 year old & 125K yukon has no body rust & only slight surface rust on the frame.

garbear521

Reaction score
i have pinheads as well

In the last few months - all of a sudden - I have noticed these very small rust spots, pinhead size. They seem to be under the clear coat?? However i have also notice a couple places were I could "pick at" a darker spot and when it came off, it left behind the orange rust spot. I bought my White 04 Tahoe in Atlanta and moved to Philly April 07. I always keep it garaged, washed and waxed. ATL pollution is awful and nothing ever happened there. Spots even appeared on my matching white door trim but I thought that was plastic???

footinSD

Reaction score
I have a 99 white tahoe and I had the small rust spots as well. It was from brake dust coming off while braking at high speeds, then since I dont wash the tahoe all the time, rains allowed it to stick and create "rust" looking spots on the side. If its bad enough, you need an acid wash, clay bar and detailing job done, but usually clay bar and wax takes care of it. From what I understand, this shows up the majority of the time to the white GM's.

sasquatch

Reaction score
i`d have to agree with footinSD, when i bought my 05 yukon (silver birch)
i noticed that i had the little rust spots mostly on the rear and a few on the side. that usually means that the brakes wore down and were metal to metal.

i asked the dealer for the service records and the truck did have a brake problem on the right front.

i`m not sure if GM uses metallic brake pads but i`m sure that could be the cuprit as well.

i used a bug and tar remover and it worked great.