Oil pressure concerns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I-r-welder81

Reaction score
I have a '95 Yukon, 4x4 with 250000 k. the oil pressure gauge reads normal on start up but after it warms up the pressure goes way down to almost nothing and the engine starts to tick on the top end. Sometimes it will come back up and the tick stops. If I turn it off for a while and start it back up it reads normal again.
What could the problem be? Oil pump, sensor? I was told by a friend to add Lucas additive, but worry about engine damage.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

clkelley

Reaction score
If it is ticking when the pressure drops than it more than likely is not the sending unit or gauge. I would tend to believe that the oil pump is going out or is gone altogether. I would start there and if that doesn't fix it then you may have bearings going out. That being said, oil stabilizers may help for a short time, but they are just a band-aid masking a deeper issue that needs fixing.