need help removing radiater in 1999 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CARASCOD

Reaction score
hello every one i have to change my radiater on my 1999 chevy tahoe and was wondering if anybody had any detailed instruction on how to complete this job it would be greatly apprieated

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drain coolant
take off upper fan shroud and brackets
disconnect upper and lower rad hoses
remove trans cooler lines and engine oil cooler lines
take off the lower fan shroud
then yer coolant overflow bottle
the rad. then pulls up off of the lower brackets

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy some regular hose clamps!

I did mine a few weeks ago, the spring clamp on the lower radiator hose was a bastard and a half to get pliers onto, they just wouldn't fit anywhere down there.

Then I stopped being dumb for a second and just pulled the radiator up out of position to get the pliers on.

When I was putting back together I put a regular hose clamp on instead of the spring clamp since there may be a time I want that lower hose loose without pulling the rad. out. I can reach a regular hose clamp just fine with a nut driver.

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya, unless u have the hose clamp tool, youll fight and fight and most often times loose! never said itd be easy. never is

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What so hard about the lower neck if you are replacing the radiator. If you are replacing the radiator and dont need to worry about what you are taking out. Get a long pry bar or long screwdriver and a hammer. Hit between the rubber neck and the tank and break the neck out of the radiator. Problem solved. Remove rad them you have all the room in the world to take the clamp off and remove the plastic neck. Why spend 1/2hr or longer dinking around trying various ways to get to the clamp. The guys at work call it the Johnny O way to remove it. But if you have to reuse the rad, you are going to have to get the clamp off Or I have removed the other end of the hose and taken the whole hose off when it sitting on the bench.

John

CARASCOD

Reaction score
thanks guys i came up with 1 more problem i went to autozone to get the radiator and there are live 3 different radiators for a 1999 chevy tahoe and i have the slightest idea which one i need

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys i came up with 1 more problem i went to autozone to get the radiator and there are live 3 different radiators for a 1999 chevy tahoe and i have the slightest idea which one i need

Measure how thick it is I think 1.25" is the standard and bigger than that is the heavy duty. see if you have metal engine oil cooler lines going in to the drivers side of the rad, that's one option.

If in doubt just get the heavy duty with the oil cooler, it wont hurt to have the oil cooler even if you can't hook it up.

I got my non-heavy-duty with oil cooler from radiatorbarn.com for $145 shipped, I bet thats cheaper than autozone and their radiators probably come over on the same boat from china as autozone's do.