Making a '96 2dr Tahoe into a removable hardtop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ejones2313

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the responses in advance.

Is it even possible to make a '92-'99 Tahoe into a removable top? It's my dream to do this (I know, pretty simple dreams). I've always loved the 80s K5 Blazers and how the back top comes off - but I've always been more of a fan of the 90s Tahoes.

Looking at doing it to a '96, 2 door, sport package Tahoe. Thanks a ton.

07burb

Reaction score
Are you wanting to make it water tight with the top put back on or do you plan on just hacking it off and leaving it off?

ejones2313

Reaction score
Are you wanting to make it water tight with the top put back on or do you plan on just hacking it off and leaving it off?

Yes, I want it to be wear right and be able to put it back on and take it off.

07burb

Reaction score
:hmm: The key to executing this then would be careful planning as well as some decent fabrication skills. If you could get a K5 to emulate as you plan this that'd be ideal. Obviously, you'd need to plan for weatherstripping and things of this nature to ensure no leaks when complete. As well as how you'd attach the roof back when driving so that it doesn't fly off :)

07burb

Reaction score
You may also need to plan for extra body bracing as well as once you take the roof off the body will lose a lot of strength.