instrument cluster dead help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

william1

Reaction score
I have a 2001 chevy tahoe and my instrument cluster just died while driving. 130k so speedometer, odometer, all gauges.

Checked all connections on the wiring harness all tight. I also checked the grounds and positive wire on the harness all is good. checked the ground under the hood and its fine.

The only light that works is the check ingine light, turn signals. when I turn the key into the first position the odometer lights up until I put it into the next position to start the truck. The truck starts I can jiggle the key ring area and no issues with the cluster. I replaced the cluster and still dead. I think its the BCM but Im not sure.

Every once in a while the radio clock will reset back to noon. And the abs light has come on and gone off pereodicly. now just the check ingine light stays on. I know I need a fuel pump sensor but thats been bad for over a yr with no problems. Also the security light is on very often . Please can anyone help

I am thinking about getting a new BCM let me know.

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look around the park brake ratcheting mechanism and to to see if and circuits maybe shortng outh ther, if ok i would suspect the ignition switch bcm is not the power mode module for that year its still the ignition switch

william1

Reaction score
so I just finished installing a new ignition switch and the truck starts like normal but I have no instrument cluster yet but the check engine light went off so I'm not sure what to do next.

william1

Reaction score
I don't know if the instrument cluster just isn't working because the ignition switch might need to be programmed I am Not sure or if they come programmed already.

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No don't need to be programmed let me research it now there is about 2 or 3 power circuits that go to that connector for the IPC did you check all two or three of them I'm going to have to pull up a schematic I'll get back to you though you did check the harness that goes around the parking brake mechanism or ratchet mechanism for any shorts?

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yea one other thing your going to want to use a 12 volt test light when testing for voltage because that loads the circuit using a volt meter doesn't I would start at the fuses firts that are shown in the diagram with the test light

william1

Reaction score
ok a little updates I switched the ignition switch to a new one the check engine light went out the instrument cluster still is not working. I took my truck back to have it tested for codes. something funny happened when they plugged the tester into my truck all of my cluster lit right up. when they took the tester off the clusters went dead. so he believes I have a fuse that needs to be replaced because its drawing power from the cluster. he said its a 15 amp fuse in my passenger sidecompartment. but I have no idea where its located.

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didnt you get the schematic I sent you it tells you all 4 fuses that power it up, the fuse block is on the driver side of ip open drivers door and you will see a somewhat of a triangular panel that say fuses grab from the bottom and it pulls right out on the flip side of the panel it gives you fuse location and size look up the fuses that are on the schematic I sent you

william1

Reaction score
Okay rockenthebowtie I have checked all fuses for power and correct size amp. Everything looks up to par I used my test light and they all seem to be good. The only time the IP comes on is when they plug the code reader in, and then goes off when they unplug it.

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok did you also check power with test light at the ipc connector on all circuits in accordance to the schematic, Disconnect the connector from IPC test A4 BROWN WIRE, A10 PINK WIRE, B6 PINK WIRE, A9 ORANGE WIRE, Then also check with test light clipped to a positive/12 volt power source and probe terminal A8 which is ground, it would also be best to probe the back of the IPC connector where you can get a better veiw of the terminals and not the side of the connector that actually goes into the IPC itself or if this better describes what im trying to say is where the wires go into the ipc connector itself that way the terminals don't get damaged from poking them with the test light,

william1

Reaction score
I checked the wires from the plug. Both power and ground sides of it like you explained. Still everything seems fine. Its a struggle this week I tell ya. I dont think its a ground wire issue since it has never came back on since it went out. Except when we plugged in for codes.

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm well Im at a loss on this one, I will need to do some research on this one, I'm starting to think there may be a class2serial data circuit issue

william1

Reaction score
I really dont know myself. Ill just leave the code reader plugged in lol. Then it will work all day. Please if anyone can help out chime in.

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What modules is your code reader able to codes on just the pcm or any others, and does it have any u codes that it maybe picking up on

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im pretty certain that something isnt getting checked, or checked properly, and or its a class 2 serial data circuit issue.. I'm probably the best help your going to get on here, as you can see no one else is chiming in