Help Please! Fuel Gauge Indication Incorrect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cuwhenicu

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Tahoe and the situation (4 times now) is that my while driving, my Tahoe makes a sort of clunking sound and eventually stalls. The needle on the fuel tank indicator is at the last tick mark on the gauge, the computer shows I have about 100 miles remaining and the low fuel indicator light does not light up. I would add about 3-4 gallons and the Tahoe would start back up again. In one case, the needle shows at the last tick mark but I was able to put in about 22 gallons of fuel.

I took my Tahoe into the dealership and they said that I had a bad battery that did not put out enough voltage, unsual because the dash indicator typically shows at 14 but they should know right? They also said since the 08 Tahoe is more electrical that a bad battery causes issues. The dealership said it was the battery and recommended replacing it. I had them replaced the battery and they said that would fix the issue.

The same issue happened again recently (with my wife and 2 kids in the vehicle, fortunately I was driving). My Tahoe made the clunking sound again (now familiar as it has happened several times now) started to stall and eventually died while on the ramp into the freeway (I was able to move to the shoulder in time ). The needle on the fuel gauge is at the last tick mark, low fuel light did not come on and the trip computer shows I have about 100 miles remaining. I added 3-4 gallons and the Tahoe started.

Please help. I would appreciate any info. Thanks in advance.