Flowmaster 40 or 50 series?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul Greathouse

Reaction score
Went to the muffler shop yesterday to check the price on installing a flowmaster on the 95 tahoe that I just bought. I was thinking 40 series because my son just put one on his 02' Z71 and it sound great but the guy at the shop was trying to talk me into a 50 instead of a 40. His reasoning is that I will think the 40 series is too load. Hopefully I don't look that old, I'm only 46.

I plan on either a one in, one out, or a one in two out, haven't made up my mind yet. Just a little over $100 difference in price between the two not counting stainless tips.

Even after his suggestion I was still going to go with the 40's untill I read in another thread about loss of torque with less restrictive systems. If I keep my CAT and install one muffler will I loss any low end torque by going with a 40 instead of a 50 series?

Are those of you with the 40 series happy with the sound?

My truck is a 2 door, 4WD, 350ci with 3:73 rearend. Its bone stock so I don't want to loose any torque or HP.

Just in case anyone's curious the prices went as follows:
Flowmaster muffler 1 in 1 out, utilize existing exhaust pipe. $195
Flowmaster muffler 1 in 2 out, add new tail pipe for the other side. $300
Dont remember if the Stainless tips were 12" or 16". $50 a piece installed

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah, your not gonna loose any Torque because yours is a single exhuast system - the ones we were talking about was dual's no cats..

96cherry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got 2 40 series with no cats and if anything i think ive gained alot in the low end