Do I get 22" rims?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skip

Reaction score
I have a 4dr 1995 chevy Tahoe. Everything on it is stock. I have the chance to get a nice deal on some 22" rims that I think would look sweet. My problem is a mechanic told me if I didn't want to be back in a year with a broken differential don't put them on. Is this true? Is there something else I need to do to the vehicle? Is he just paranoid? any replies would be appreciated.

1999HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personaly i have never heard of anyone having issues like that because of 22's and if so more than likely they were already having issues and just so happens that it went when they had the rims on...however i do plan on buying a programmer so i can not only tune my vehile but i can set my speedo to the correct tire size

Skip

Reaction score
Sorry I don't have any pics being that it was a spur of the moment deal or should I say steal. Being that this is my 1st vehicle I got a little scared and let them go, but you live and you learn.

lowlows18

Reaction score
i have 22's on my truck and its fine..im running 305-40-22...the only problem i get is that cause the rims are so heavy that i feel a little loss of power and stopping isn't that great

Last edited:

DJTricky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im running 18's, the tire is really heavy though(rim+tire=64lbs) and when i put in my new motor(stroker 383 bottom end and vortec top) i blew out my rear diff, but that was not cus of the tires or rims, it was the power and torque.(and a drag strip)

HaKs310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Larger tires/wheels will mean you will need more torque to move them, which will cause some havoc to your differential.

Best way to recoupe this lost torque is to change your differential gear ratio.

XLDENALIXL

Reaction score
i have 22's on my truck and its fine..im running 305-40-22...the only problem i get is that cause the rims are so heavy that i feel a little loss of power and stopping isn't that great

yo fresh rims bro, how much they run u?

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got 4 new tires with 4 22" rims for $200? Man wtf, I need to find these deals everyone is getting on tires. I got 4 new tires from pep-boys (nothing special either) $345, just tires. It would have been more too, but I got lucky because they had a buy 3 get the 4th one free sale going on.