clunking in rearend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loomis

Reaction score
Im trying to figure out what these re-occuring problem is in my driveline. while back i had this loose shifting clunking noise when I'd take off from stop. I brought it in and had i think the transfer case fluid replaced, and tranny fluid flushed out, and a U-joint put in. while back i was going down the road, and had my whole drive shaft fall out, turns out a U-joint was bad. The caps fell off I think. I cant remember it might of been the one I had replaced. Put a new one in. The clanks sloppyness is back... I'm thinking about just having all new U-Joints put in, and possibly getting that pinion thing replaced? Because aside from that other problem, when it shifts into 2nd gear, it does pretty rough, anyway I could cure that? Its so annoying between the two of them.

tracey-canada

Reaction score
Did you check your motor mount? May sound odd, but it's more of a noise towards the middle like a clunking, I had to have mine fixed for that reason a while back...sounds almost the same.

Last edited:

718frankb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try greasing the slip yoke or replacing with nickel plated yoke .hope this helps