95 TAHOE TBI HORSEPOWER GAINS ideas??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XLDENALIXL

Reaction score
the truck already has cat back exhaust, flowmaster 40's seris, and a brand new 3.73 rear POSI. thinking on doin a K&N intake, and headers, as well as one of those econoaid spacers, and thorttle body spacers. i wanna get 300 HP, but dnt wanna spend an arm and a leg to get it. These TBI are sluggy, and wanna make it faster than the vortec 5.7. ANY other SUGGESTIONS?????

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I hate to say it, but you will never touch anything close to 300 HP with bolt-ons. To get 300 HP out of a TBI 350 you are going to need either a super charger, new heads/cam/intake, bore and stroke (+heads/cam/intake), or a new engine. All avenues will cost you over $1,000.

XLDENALIXL

Reaction score
damn, kinda had a gut feeling that was a tall order lol, well i had a 96 burban with the vortec, so u think with a few bolt ons i can get this tbi tahoe as quick as a stock vortec tahoe??

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i had a 96 burban with the vortec, so u think with a few bolt ons i can get this tbi tahoe as quick as a stock vortec tahoe??

Yeah... still no, not really. The Vortec 5.7L 350 has about 55 more horsepower and 30 more ft/lb of torque than the earlier TBI engine. This is mainly because of the Vortec cylinder heads. The TBI engines have very crappy heads, that are just doggy. They have pretty reputable stump pulling grunt, but they just brick when it comes to 0-60 and 1/4 times hehe.

The Vortec engines also have multiport sequential injection which is a lot more efficient and helps it make better power than throttle body injection, not to mention a full hydraulic roller cam. they redline at a higher RPM, and have a different power band than the TBI engine setup makes.

I'll put it this way: I have dual exhaust, headers, open air intake, MSD H/O ignition coil, and a stock 1996 4-door tahoe with the Vortec 350 would probably still beat me in a drag race.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He was talking about exhaust and about True Duals on 96-99 Tahoes. He mentioned modifiying the Magnaflow "off road" exhuast. But he didn't leave a number. I am asking this b/c I am re-doing my exhuast this summer when I install Long Tube Headers. I was told I need a custom Y-Pipe or truel duals. I was quoted around $1,100 for SS Exhaust. Let me remind you I paid $3,000 for my truck!

Can someone further elaborate on this? Or pop this question for me on there?

79powerwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember, in a heavy truck, it's the torque that does the job more so than the horse power... plan accordingly!

That said, in the later 90's, a buddy of mine bought a new 3500 extended cab dually 4x4 with a 454 and 5 speed manual, it was chipped and Whipple super-charged. That little puppy clearly made more than 300hp! LOL That was the most fun I had driving a big tank of a truck in my life!

Sure caught a lot of people off gaurd, I'll say that!

XLDENALIXL

Reaction score
I'll put it this way: I have dual exhaust, headers, open air intake, MSD H/O ignition coil, and a stock 1996 4-door tahoe with the Vortec 350 would probably still beat me in a drag race.

lol wow i wish they werent that slow! well i was readin up on the vortec conversion kit, what is it just head intake cams and computer swap to make it a vortec? do you think it is work it or no?

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it's not worth it, in my opinion. The amount of money it would cost you to take an OBD1 controlled throttle body injection 350 and convert it into an OBDII controlled Vortec would be expensive, not to mention a decent amount of work... and all for like 50 - 60 horse power and 30 ft/lb of torque?

Keep in mind, you would need to get your hands on a set of Vortec heads, a vortec milti-port injection intake manifold, vortec engine roller camshaft and rocker arms, OBDII computer chip, a GM fullsize truck 1996-1999 wiring harness, an axhaust system that will take 4 O2 sensors (plus two cats), a Vortec ignition system... ugh.

For the money and effort, just buy a crate engine if you want a lot more power, or build a new engine out of the 350 you already have. Or do what I did and pull an engine out of a boneyard truck and rebuild that.

Lol, the amount of money it would cost you to convert a TBI 350 to a Vortec 350 with pretty much all new parts, you may as well just find a 1996+ model Tahoe on the side of the road for a few grand and buy that.

XLDENALIXL

Reaction score
No it's not worth it, in my opinion. The amount of money it would cost you to take an OBD1 controlled throttle body injection 350 and convert it into an OBDII controlled Vortec would be expensive, not to mention a decent amount of work... and all for like 50 - 60 horse power and 30 ft/lb of torque?

Keep in mind, you would need to get your hands on a set of Vortec heads, a vortec milti-port injection intake manifold, vortec engine roller camshaft and rocker arms, OBDII computer chip, a GM fullsize truck 1996-1999 wiring harness, an axhaust system that will take 4 O2 sensors (plus two cats), a Vortec ignition system... ugh.

For the money and effort, just buy a crate engine if you want a lot more power, or build a new engine out of the 350 you already have. Or do what I did and pull an engine out of a boneyard truck and rebuild that.

Lol, the amount of money it would cost you to convert a TBI 350 to a Vortec 350 with pretty much all new parts, you may as well just find a 1996+ model Tahoe on the side of the road for a few grand and buy that.

yea bro ur right, wayy to much of a headache and money! in your opion, what do you think would be the cheapest, best way to get this TBI to 300 horsepower??

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have heared from others: try to find a used supercharger on eabay.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The General is 100% correct. The used supercharger is the only sensible way to wake up a 95 with OBD1.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you have over 100K miles at this point on the engine.

I had put a Vortech Supercharger kit on a then stock 95 Tahoe. It was just what the doctor ordered. I installed it when the truck had 30,000 miles on it.

The Tahoe was instantly a different animal and a lot of fun. The thing to know going into using a s/c is that the rings and pistons and valves were not exactly designed to take the added abuse. You will develop a lot of "blow by" within 20,000 to 30,000 miles. It is enough that it becomes difficult to keep oil leaks under control. If you already have a lot of miles on the engine, it will have the "blow by" from day one of the S/C and get worse from there.

Some people don't mind that they leave a puddle of oil everywhere they park. It was driving me crazy, so I pulled the engine and rebuilt it, then put it back together with the S/C.

The rebuild was also setup with 8.5 to 1 compression, so I was able to crank up the boost from the 6 pounds to 12 pounds. Big difference.

Good luck with whatever you decide.............

XLDENALIXL

Reaction score
The General is 100% correct. The used supercharger is the only sensible way to wake up a 95 with OBD1.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you have over 100K miles at this point on the engine.

I had put a Vortech Supercharger kit on a then stock 95 Tahoe. It was just what the doctor ordered. I installed it when the truck had 30,000 miles on it.

The Tahoe was instantly a different animal and a lot of fun. The thing to know going into using a s/c is that the rings and pistons and valves were not exactly designed to take the added abuse. You will develop a lot of "blow by" within 20,000 to 30,000 miles. It is enough that it becomes difficult to keep oil leaks under control. If you already have a lot of miles on the engine, it will have the "blow by" from day one of the S/C and get worse from there.

Some people don't mind that they leave a puddle of oil everywhere they park. It was driving me crazy, so I pulled the engine and rebuilt it, then put it back together with the S/C.

The rebuild was also setup with 8.5 to 1 compression, so I was able to crank up the boost from the 6 pounds to 12 pounds. Big difference.

Good luck with whatever you decide.............
hmmm yea i hear ya, idk about leaking oil everywhere seems like a pain in the ass an not worth all the extra headaches, was thinkin of even doin a vortec 5.7 swap, or even a 5.3 swap

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should try to find a late 80's early 90's 1-ton truck with a 454 TBI engine out of the boneyard, and rip that. Maybe put some better heads on it and a cam and some better injectors. I would love to do that... hehe.

XLDENALIXL

Reaction score
You should try to find a late 80's early 90's 1-ton truck with a 454 TBI engine out of the boneyard, and rip that. Maybe put some better heads on it and a cam and some better injectors. I would love to do that... hehe.

HAHA yea man deff, throw some 4.10's in the rear, thing would be an ANIMAL! always wanted to drop a 454 in a tahoe/yukon, espcially a 2 door model!

95yukongt

Reaction score
damn, kinda had a gut feeling that was a tall order lol, well i had a 96 burban with the vortec, so u think with a few bolt ons i can get this tbi tahoe as quick as a stock vortec tahoe??

my truck is a 95 yukon 2 door with highway gears vs my friends 96 4 door yukon an dhe has 4:10s.

my mods- flowmaster muffler and autozone intake
his mods. 4:10s and k&n drop in.

we did one dig race and he had me by a truck.
we did one roll race, he had me by half a truck.

if i had 4:10s i would of beat him