Tahoe Heated Washer Fluid Recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHINO64

Reaction score
I am sure everyone has heard about the recall for the heataed washer fluid module for the late model Tahoes. I wanted to post some pics of what I found today. It started with the washer pump not putting out enough pressure to spray onto the windshield. I decided to investigate today and while I was troubleshooting the lines, I found the heater module blew a hole on its side and from what you see in the picture you can tell something was bubbling up underneath the casing, overheated, shortcircuited?

The second picture shows the fluid leaking on the positive connection terminal and causing it to short straight to ground since the negative terminal is right next to it. Sorry for the blurred picture. I used my cell phone camera.

I had already pulled fuse 16 a while back and luckily nothing else got burned up. I am removing the module and connecting the washer line straight to the wipers. Really do not need it where I live.:)

Attachments

• 1231081134-00.jpg
    1231081134-00.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 1231081134-01.jpg
    1231081134-01.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 60

wmgood64

Reaction score
Hi, i just purchased an 08 LT3 with the heated washer fluid haven't seen or heard about the recall!! Any info or links on it? Thanks Bill

Chevyforever

Reaction score
I brought my 07 in for the recall in November to my local dealership and they removed the fuse. Now I'm awaiting the inline fuse which is backordered. Its a 30 minute install.

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, i just purchased an 08 LT3 with the heated washer fluid haven't seen or heard about the recall!! Any info or links on it? Thanks Bill

If you bought the tahoe from a GM dealer then I'M sure that the recall has been performed.

If you bought the tahoe from another source then it may not have been.

Ether way call a Chevy dealer and give them your VIN number and they will tell you if the recall has been performed on your truck or not.

wmgood64

Reaction score
07suburbanLTZ, Thanks!! i'll call tommorrow! Bill

CHINO64

Reaction score
Number for the safety Recall

Here is the safety recall number 08048.

If you type in google search under tahoe heated washer, you will find out more. A company called microheat inc made the heaters for GM and they are being sued by GM.

wmgood64

Reaction score
chino64, Thanks for the info. I'm pulling the fuse until i find out if its been fixed or not.picked it up 1 week ago. Thanks again wmgood64

stss95

Reaction score
which fuse is it exactly? whats it labeled?

wmgood64

Reaction score
Stss95, it's #66 in the fuse panel under the hood on the driver side fender marked IN MY OWNERS MANUAL PAGE 5-120 HAS AN ILLUSTRATION AND PAGE 5-123 SHOWS THE FUSE #66 AND THE HEATED WINDSHIELD WASHER SYSTEM IDENTITY

Last edited:

CHINO64

Reaction score
Fuse Designation #69 07 Tahoe LTZ

Sorry everyone for the confusion about the number fuse and wrong information, it is #69 not #16 on my LTZ.

stss95

Reaction score
I haven't gotten the recall notice my tahoe is an early 08 but i found the vin numbers that are affected posted on another board and according to that my tahoe isnt included. I think mine was built in 12/07 maybe they corrected the issue by then?

bgbpmp

Reaction score
Actually GM released a notice that for all exsisting invetory that the dealer was to remove the unit and discount the sticker. The inline fuse is no more than a bandaid. If you use the unit regularly it will eventually just blow. There is not a suitable replacemnet for it and GM has taken it off the assembly line (not an available option anymore).

GreenOnyx

Reaction score
I purchased mine in December and the fuse hadn't been pulled and the new inline fuse hadn't been installed. If you call your dealer they can tell you if it's been installed. If it hasn't you should be able to just swing by your dealer, it takes 10 minutes to install.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My washer started acting up today, and I have had the recall done. Where is the wiper module, and the heater tank located? Also, where the heck did they put the inline fuse?

CHINO64

Reaction score
Result of the recall

Well, I went to the dealer and showed them the recall notice. They said, the recall notice was for just the wiring harness. Typical, if I wanted the heated washer assembly replaced, then I would have to talk to the service manager,
waste of time. Brian Harris Cheverolet. Even showed them the unit.

It was obvious they were not up to speed on this, even though they had probably 20 Tahoes sitting in the front parking lot in front of their showroom.
Or, I am the dumb owner of a $45K vehicle, but they make less money than I do. I do not know, I am clueless.

Anyways, enough of the sarcasm. I called GM and they were kind enough to listen. The said, they did not have a FAQ for the recall if the heated washer system already blew. I told them, the recall was suppose to prevent the unit from blowing up and catching on fire, etc. They agreed.

GM called the Dealer mentioned above and they told the rep to find out which service technician I talked too, then call them back and slammed the phone on the rep. The rep was pissed by then.

The GM rep was going to turn my case over to the district rep for my area and I told her to find out if GM will discontinue the option of the heated washer system and she replied later with yes, but we all knew that already.

SO, I told her I wanted to leave the system off my truck since they will be discontinuing the option and she said that GM should compensate me as a good faith gesture. She offer a 12 month service warranty, oil change, the basics, etc., or a 200.00 service certificate.

Deal or No Deal?

I took the 200 dollar service certificate to be used later on, next time I decided to take the truck in for a service at another dealer. Actually both offers have a maximum of $200 dollar limit the rep can offer at that level.
The heated washer unit itself is 243.00 dollars, takes ten minutes to intall.

I have opted not to install the system back into the truck. If you do the same then unplugging the wired connections and taping them up with electrical tape is what I did. One plug is the positive and ground and the other, I have no clue where it goes. I bought new hoses and hooked the washer pump reservoir directly to the wiper arms hose connections.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you made a good choice. But the question begs, where is the the heater and inline fuse located?

CHINO64

Reaction score
Inline fuse

The heater is what I have in my hand on the first posted pictures. It is located in the engine compartment top left of the firewall. It has 1 hot wire and 1 ground going to it, can't miss those thick wires and the other set of wire goes to a plug just above the negative wire connection. It looks like a small 5 or six pin plug. I do not know if they add an inline fuse with a transitional harness. I did not get that far with the dealer.

Good news, GM sent me my $200.00 certificate, they kept their promise.
I guess I will keep paying the house note on the Tahoe.

deuce

Reaction score
reinstall heater...

Just bought an 08 Hoe. Mine was not working. Noticed no fuse. Install fuse still no go. Googled it and found the recall info. Anyway during my research found this company that sells replacement units. I have to check to be sure all the wiring and such is in place on mine but probably going to order it and reinstall, since in Pa I could really use this.

http://alphathermusa.com/heatedwash-AT-37GM.html