Go Back   Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum > 2000 - 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe / GMC Yukon / Cadillac Escalade Year Models > General Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Discussion Forum

Welcome to the Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum.
Register to remove these ads.

General Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Discussion Forum General Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Discussion Forum

Old 11-16-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
ac1975
Full Access Member

ac1975 is on a distinguished road
Default Best year Tahoe to buy?

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
I sold my QX4 today! Took me 1 week. Now, I have the cash too look for a 'hoe.

What year is the best? I've been trying to read about them, but don't really know if I understand correctly? 2003 seems to be when there were alot of adjustments made. Are there any bugs or pains ITA on the 00-02? That seems more like in my price range.

Thanks in advance.
ac1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #2
mikeb33
Full Access Member

mikeb33 is on a distinguished road

2005 of course!
mikeb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
ugachs24
Full Access Member

ugachs24 is on a distinguished road

I think the 04 & 05 models were the best, but that's just my opinion. They added hydroboost brakes for 2004 along with new wheel options and a tire pressure monitor. I had an '03 Z71 which was a great truck that I traded for the 2008. No real differences between the 2003 and 2004 except the hydroboost TPMS though.

I really prefer the 2003-2006 to the 2000-2002 because of the interior, the new interior is so much more comfortable and better looking IMHO. Besides that I couldn't live without the DIC.
ugachs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
Sepiroth
Spam Executioner

Sepiroth is on a distinguished road

The DIC and speedo issues are the exact reason I bought a 2002.

You know what it all boils down to is what works for you.

Whatever year you buy, chances are the bugs will have already been worked out by the previous owner.
Sepiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
ac1975
Full Access Member

So there is an interior difference in 2003? I hadn't gone to look in person yet, cuz I didn't have the money. Now I do, so now I'll go take a look and compare between the '02 & '03. What were the differences?

What is DIC? What's good about it? What's bad?

What's the differences in the hydro boost brakes?

I'll do some googling as well. Thanks guys!
Old 11-16-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
MadMedwyn
Full Access Member

MadMedwyn is on a distinguished road

The interiors of the 03-06 look a little more modern than the 00-02. It's minor stuff like the radio, climate control, and instrument cluster but once you get familiar with the differences, they add up. My friend drives an '01 Suburban while his dad drives an '05. The interior differences are like night and day.
MadMedwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:05 PM   #7
ugachs24
Full Access Member

ugachs24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac1975 View Post
So there is an interior difference in 2003? I hadn't gone to look in person yet, cuz I didn't have the money. Now I do, so now I'll go take a look and compare between the '02 & '03. What were the differences?

What is DIC? What's good about it? What's bad?

What's the differences in the hydro boost brakes?

I'll do some googling as well. Thanks guys!
The 2000-2002 interior just looks outdated/cheaper to me. The leather is nicer in the 2003+ models, they have the digital climate control, better head units, steering wheel controls, turn signal mirrors, etc.

The DIC is the Driver Information Center, it has things like AVG MPG, distance to empty, engine oil life, a timer, annual mileage, trip settings (business and personal) that include distance, time, AVG MPG, gallons used, average speed, % of annual mileage. It also remembers your mirror settings, lets your control how long your lights stay on after you turn off the engine or unlock. Little things like that that I hate not having.

The only bad thing about the 2003+ models is the failure of the instrument cluster. Most are going to need it replaced by 100k, many before that, many after that, but odds are you're going to have to replace it at some point. Good thing is- GM has an extended warranty on the clusters and will replace them until the truck is 7 years old and has 70k miles. What usually happens is the MPH hand will go haywire and stick or not register.

Here is how edmunds describes Hydroboost: "For 2004, Tahoe introduces Hydroboost braking. Most power-brake systems rely on engine vacuum to reduce braking effort, but Hydroboost uses power-steering fluid pressure, which provides added safety, with more reserve power assist for braking under specific conditions. The system will continue to provide sufficient power assist to stop the vehicle even if the engine stalls or is turned off. Hydroboost brakes that provide more reserve stopping power and decreased pedal effort"

The only time I really notice a difference in the brakes in the '03 and '04 models is when towing or when the brakes are slammed on, its not really anything to buy an '04 over an '03 because of, though.

Heres the picture differences between the 02 and 03 interiors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2000ChevroletTahoeSuburban_.jpg (51.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg ds.jpg (93.7 KB, 52 views)
ugachs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #8
ac1975
Full Access Member

Hey, thanks so much for the pics! I really appreciate that. I can see, the difference in the steering wheel controls (which I would really prefer) and the console. The older trucks look a bit cheesy (IMO) with that cd player in the middle of the console *WTF?*.

The heater controls, are fine to me in either pic. Are those the only differences? Door switches are the same? and actual gauges the same too? How is the '03 + leather nicer?

I'm going to go look at some today. It's just a PITA to go to a dealership and look/test drive w/out having to fight your way out of there.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:31 PM   #9
Rollin Thunder
Full Access Member

Rollin Thunder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac1975 View Post
Hey, thanks so much for the pics! I really appreciate that. I can see, the difference in the steering wheel controls (which I would really prefer) and the console. The older trucks look a bit cheesy (IMO) with that cd player in the middle of the console *WTF?*.

The heater controls, are fine to me in either pic. Are those the only differences? Door switches are the same? and actual gauges the same too? How is the '03 + leather nicer?

I'm going to go look at some today. It's just a PITA to go to a dealership and look/test drive w/out having to fight your way out of there.

in an 03 you can go 20 mph faster with the 120 MPH speedo :smilielol:

I like both inteirors. 02 feels more like a truck. 03 is more classy. Bose radio, and all the other extras. Plus ITS NEWER!!!

The hydra boost thing I have never noticed on my 07 or 06. But also have never had my engine stall while brakeing. But if the engine stalls, doesnt the power steering pump loose pressure??? so your SOL anyway. Also I feel that if you can push the peddle to the floor while idling, you should be able to in an emergency stop. :thumbsup:
Rollin Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
mikeb33
Full Access Member

mikeb33 is on a distinguished road

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin Thunder View Post

The hydra boost thing I have never noticed on my 07 or 06. But also have never had my engine stall while brakeing. But if the engine stalls, doesnt the power steering pump loose pressure??? so your SOL anyway. Also I feel that if you can push the peddle to the floor while idling, you should be able to in an emergency stop. :thumbsup:
I don't get this either. With vacuum assist, there is a check valve that holds vacuum in the booster for a couple good pumps if the engine is off. I don't know how they do it with hyrdaboost.
mikeb33 is offline   Reply With Quote