Go Back   Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum > 2007 + Chevrolet Tahoe / GMC Yukon / Cadillac Escalade Year Models > Lift Kit and Lowering Kit Discussions

Register to remove these ads.
Lift Kit and Lowering Kit Discussions This forum is for discussing Lift Kit and Lowering Kit topics.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
14kvision
Tahoeforum Noob

14kvision is on a distinguished road
cool Lowering a '11 Tahoe - 24 inch rims

Hey everyone.

I recently purchased a new 2011 Tahoe LS and Iím looking for some advice/guidance on lowering it.

I think Iíve settled on í24 inch KMC Slidesí. I have a smaller garage with just enough room to pull the truck in with the mirrors folded and the height is a pretty tight fit. Iím presuming that once I get the 24ís on the height will increase substantially; for this reason (and just because I think it will look better) I would like to lower it either right before or after I get the new wheels.

My questions are:

1) I know nothing about lowering a vehicle Ė never done it before. What exactly do I need? Being that this is a new vehicle I donít want to ghetto rig it and I want to do it the right way without damaging the vehicle or making any changes that can't be reversed later. Someone told me that the Tahoe has air suspension or something that will be disabled if I lower it??? If you could give me a link to everything I need to purchase I would be very grateful!

2) With 24 inch KMC Sliders what drop will give me the same ride height as I have now with the stock wheels on? (I donít want to be really, really low Ė I like the height I drive at now) but I don't want a big gap in the wheel well.

3) Should I lower the vehicle before or after I get the new wheels Ė or does it not matter?

Again, Iím new to all this so forgive my ignorance; I do appreciate your help though.
14kvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
GeorgiaFan
Tahoeforum Noob

GeorgiaFan is on a distinguished road

Hey man , you may wanna check here for some of your lowering questions on such a new vehicle. www.mcgaughys.com . If your not wanting something "slammed" i would say go with a subtle 2/3 drop ! It the most common . Ive done research as well and McGaughys is one the best i've found. Most of the kits are pretty much bolt on and can be taken off and replaced with stock. I will tell you if your planning on doing it yourself , its not something a you wanna try if you havent ever altered a suspension before. Hope ive helped in someway !
GeorgiaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
TahoeJo
Tahoeforum Apprentice Member

TahoeJo is on a distinguished road

Not to be rude but you definately dont know what youre talking about. When putting 24's on you will go with a lower profile tire to keep the overall height/diameter of the tire the same as stock or close to it. If the overall diameter is the same your height will be the same. The stock tire size you have now is 275/55/20... You're probably going to run a 35 series sidewall with 24" rims. If you're making the overall diameter bigger then you'll have to lift it to clear them, not lower it.
Is the only reason you want to lower it because you think 24" rims will make it sit higher?
TahoeJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
TahoeJo
Tahoeforum Apprentice Member

TahoeJo is on a distinguished road

Also being an ls tahoe I doubt you have the autoride air suspension. Like you said if you like the ride height now, just do what I said, and run lower profile tires like everyone does. If you do go with a larger or smaller diameter it will affect your speedo too, but you can recalibrate that with the gm tech2 handheld at the dealership. Hope that was helpful...
TahoeJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
HOLLYWOOD*
Tahoeforum Newcomer

HOLLYWOOD* is on a distinguished road

Whats up guys? Im new to the forum, i have two tahoes but am thinking of hooking up my 08'. I want to lower it a little without really changing the ride on it. What should i go with??
HOLLYWOOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
clkelley
Super Moderator

clkelley is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the neighborhood!

If you want to lower it right, I would talk to Norcal SS, he is a vendor here and does those kinds of things daily out of his shop. He would be able to not only fill you in on how to do what you want to do but also to find what you need.
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
NORCAL SS
Full Access Member

NORCAL SS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD* View Post
Whats up guys? Im new to the forum, i have two tahoes but am thinking of hooking up my 08'. I want to lower it a little without really changing the ride on it. What should i go with??
this is what you want
http://www.tbssowners.com/store/inde...d&productId=87
NORCAL SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
ccorona01
Tahoeforum Newcomer

ccorona01 is on a distinguished road

I just put 26's on my 2012 Tahoe with 295/30/26.. Works just fine. Some people will say to go with 295/25/26 but there is no side wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14kvision View Post
Hey everyone.

I recently purchased a new 2011 Tahoe LS and Iím looking for some advice/guidance on lowering it.

I think Iíve settled on í24 inch KMC Slidesí. I have a smaller garage with just enough room to pull the truck in with the mirrors folded and the height is a pretty tight fit. Iím presuming that once I get the 24ís on the height will increase substantially; for this reason (and just because I think it will look better) I would like to lower it either right before or after I get the new wheels.

My questions are:

1) I know nothing about lowering a vehicle Ė never done it before. What exactly do I need? Being that this is a new vehicle I donít want to ghetto rig it and I want to do it the right way without damaging the vehicle or making any changes that can't be reversed later. Someone told me that the Tahoe has air suspension or something that will be disabled if I lower it??? If you could give me a link to everything I need to purchase I would be very grateful!

2) With 24 inch KMC Sliders what drop will give me the same ride height as I have now with the stock wheels on? (I donít want to be really, really low Ė I like the height I drive at now) but I don't want a big gap in the wheel well.

3) Should I lower the vehicle before or after I get the new wheels Ė or does it not matter?

Again, Iím new to all this so forgive my ignorance; I do appreciate your help though.
ccorona01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #9
NORCAL SS
Full Access Member

NORCAL SS is on a distinguished road

2/3 drop with 295 35 26 is fine just will need to trim rear fenderwells plastic a little.
NORCAL SS is offline   Reply With Quote