Go Back   Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum > 2007 + Chevrolet Tahoe / GMC Yukon / Cadillac Escalade Year Models > General Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Discussion Forum

Register to remove these ads.
General Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Discussion Forum General Discussion Forum

Old 03-03-2008, 06:19 AM   #1
Black Dog
Full Access Member

Black Dog is on a distinguished road
Default Tahoe prices: Actual vs. MSRP

Hi, I'm new here and have been reading alot because I plan to get a Tahoe very soon. I'm wondering if I can get some feedback from you all about how these Chevy dealerships are in bargaining down from MSRP. Are they making deals or not? Is it gonna be any harder to get a deal if it's say, a Z71 4X4 with nice options? Is it gonna be harder if I have to order the truck as opposed to finding it on the lot? Can you bargain it down and then slap a rebate on it too, or do they try to make the rebate part of your discount? Also I noticed that there was a $3000 rebate that is just now expiring. Anyone know if they will renew it right away, or if it is gone for good?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. Can't wait...
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
aaron72
Full Access Member

aaron72 is on a distinguished road

You could always do the purchase through Costco. No dealer haggling, and the price is usually $500 to $1000 over invoice. Plus you can apply any rebates that are available.
aaron72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
PeanutGallery
Tahoeforum Apprentice Member

PeanutGallery is on a distinguished road

rebates are applicable above and beyond any other money you negotiate from sticker - they should not be included as part of the dealer's discount. they're separate discounts - rebates come from the manufacturer to the dealer, so it's not like they're making less money on an MSRP deal vs. an MSRP-minus-rebate deal.

as to rebates - they vary month-to-month so there's no telling whether the current $3k will be renewed or not. given the current economy, i'd be surprised if overall rebate packages decrease much, but if they do, give 'em time - they'll have another sales push and bump 'em up again at some point sooner rather than later. if nothing else, late summer usually brings end-of-model-year closeout pricing that you could take advantage of if you're willing to wait.

also, there's more mark-up in a loaded model than one with very few options, so you should have more negotiating room accordingly. my suburban is a loaded LT3 Z71 and we got it for true invoice less all rebates ($2250 at the time - early november '07). in looking at invoices for different models, the difference between MSRP and invoice is much larger on, say, a loaded LTZ than on a base LT1. check edmunds.com for ballpark invoice pricing - in my case they were about $700 low, but at least it gives you a starting point.

if you get on chevy's website you should be able to check inventory on multiple area dealers fairly easily - that's what i did to find mine. had to dealer-transfer it from georgia because it was the only one in this color in the southeast with all the options i wanted at that time, but custom-ordering is certainly another viable option. theoretically you should be able to get just as good a deal on a custom order as an in-stock unit, if not better, since the dealer knows the truck won't sit on their lot eating up floorplan money or inventory space - as soon as it comes in you buy it, thus maximizing their profit buy not having it sit around waiting on a walk-up buyer. on the other hand, the dealer would certainly rather unload one of their current units than sell you one that won't come in for a few weeks - so that may create more incentive to give a better deal on an in-stock unit if you can find what you're looking for.

at the end of the day, though, if you're not finding a dealer willing to come close to invoice then try another one. gas prices are only going up, so the full-size SUV market appears to be a buyer's market - i believe there are a lot more units on the ground than there are buyers right now, so good deals should be out there in abundance.
PeanutGallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
Guardian

Guardian is on a distinguished road

Checkout the below web site. Up in the top right there's a pull-down menu that you can select "Supplier Pricing". Either build your vehicle or find one from the dealers and see what they are showing. You'll notice they also deduct any current rebates/cash-back from the Supplier Discount Price. You should try to negotiate to this price if you can.

Better yet, if you can find a GM employee that will get you a Supplier Authorization, you can get that price without any haggling.

https://www.gmfamilyfirst.com/ip-gmemployee/

Good Luck!
Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
hbryan527
Tahoeforum Noob

hbryan527 is on a distinguished road

Utilize the "internet department" at any dealership. I got an LT2 $500 below invoice with a few emails!
hbryan527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:39 PM   #6
Black Dog
Full Access Member

Thank you all for the good information. These are all new ideas that I haven't heard of before. I will check these out and post my experience later. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2008, 08:00 AM   #7
High4
Full Access Member

High4 is on a distinguished road

I have had no problems in purchasing at invoice minus rebates (on the last three vehicles purchased). All I did was start out the conversation by asking if they would sell at this price on an ordered truck. One dealership, contacted by e-mail, said "No, we think it is good practice to make a fair profit." I responded that on an ordered truck my opinion is that the hold-back is a fair profit but I would respect their answer and do business elsewhere. I received a response that they would sell at invoice minus any rebates but I stayed true to my response and took my business elsewhere.
High4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
Black Dog
Full Access Member

Interesting, I'm gonna try that since i will probably have to order it the way I want it. Anyone know what to expect on rebates this month? the 3k from last month is gone now! Thanks....
Old 03-05-2008, 10:29 AM   #9
elbeto

elbeto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Hi, I'm new here and have been reading alot because I plan to get a Tahoe very soon. I'm wondering if I can get some feedback from you all about how these Chevy dealerships are in bargaining down from MSRP. Are they making deals or not? Is it gonna be any harder to get a deal if it's say, a Z71 4X4 with nice options? Is it gonna be harder if I have to order the truck as opposed to finding it on the lot? Can you bargain it down and then slap a rebate on it too, or do they try to make the rebate part of your discount? Also I noticed that there was a $3000 rebate that is just now expiring. Anyone know if they will renew it right away, or if it is gone for good?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. Can't wait...
Use the spread sheet over at
www.carbuyingtips.com
elbeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
Black Dog
Full Access Member

That's a good site, thanks. I'm reading the whole thing!:thumbsup: