Go Back   Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum > 2000 - 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe / GMC Yukon / Cadillac Escalade Year Models > General Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Discussion Forum

Register to remove these ads.
General Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Discussion Forum General Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Discussion Forum

Old 02-22-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
zeokter
Tahoeforum Apprentice Member

zeokter is on a distinguished road
Default Midas tried to rip me

I went in to get the E brake adjusted on the truck the other day. It hasn't worked since i bought the truck in october. Turns out it was completely worn. Someone must have left it on and drove around town. Midas guy said that both brake shoes, both brake pads, a resurface of one RR rotor and one new LR rotor, Brake/power steering fluid flush was gonna cost me $881.10 !! I expected the guy to try and rip me but not that bad. I took a look closer and he actually tried to charge me for shoes twice!! He named the item E brake and put the item under "misc". I called him out and he acted like it was a actual part. He ended charging me $40 dollars for a diagnostic i didn't wanna get all Jerry Maguire so i payed. Gonna challenge that with the CC company. Anyways midas is a corporate franchise and I guess they sell them to any old auto industry hustlers. Beware of this if you take your truck there!

Last edited by zeokter; 02-22-2008 at 04:15 PM.
zeokter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
41racing
Full Access Member

41racing is on a distinguished road

As much as I hate to say it, I don't think they were ripping you off. If your truck has rear disc brakes (2000 or newer and new body style does), you have park brake shoes, and rear brake pads. The park brakes are mini drum brakes and then you have regular rear disc brakes. The rotors for these are quite expensive due to the fact that they are both rotors and drums. It does seem a bit high, but that all depends on what part of the country your in. My advice is to take your truck to a reliable (non chain) shop and have them take a look at it.
41racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
energ
Full Access Member

energ is on a distinguished road

yea, dealer price on those is close to 1100 for a rear brake job on a hoe... it was probably a pretty reasonable price what he gave you
energ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
Rivieraracing
Full Access Member

Rivieraracing is on a distinguished road

I hate to say it as well, but I would also have to agree with these guys, it is not your ordinary "adjust your e-brake" job. I was going to adjust my e-brake because it didn't work (and still doesn't work) since I purchased the truck but when I took the wheels off and I took a look at what was there, I realized there was alot more there, actual e brake shoes!!! I am suprised that the guy didn't show you the extra shoes while he had it apart, I wouldn't have believed it unless someone has shown me as well. I haven't had mine fixed yet because I don't want to pay $ just to have an e-brake, I am going to wait till I need a complete brake job and have them fix it then.
Rivieraracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:33 AM   #5
boostaholic
Full Access Member

boostaholic is on a distinguished road

Its a pain in the ass but not worth that much imo. I'm buying my powerslot plus kit, rear power slots, ceramic pads and new master for $700.
boostaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
Chads93GT
Full Access Member

Chads93GT is on a distinguished road

My Ebrake has never worked since I got the truck, never really cared since.....well.......I never use it. Maybe Ill check outo the drum portions on it. I had no idea it was a disc/drum setup, that would explain the massive rotors that look goofy on the ass end. Ive changed the rear pads but never popped the rotors of. Guess Ill have a look see, thats a new one on me.
Chads93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
boostaholic
Full Access Member

boostaholic is on a distinguished road

The 4l60e doesn't have much of a shift stop so I'd get that parking brake fixed, I use mine everytime I park the truck.
boostaholic is offline   Reply With Quote