Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum

Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum (http://www.tahoeforum.com/index.php)
-   General Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Discussion Forum (http://www.tahoeforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   05 tahoe, loose all power for a split second (http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=5881)

mkatts 03-06-2008 07:40 PM

05 tahoe, loose all power for a split second

I am cruising down the interstate at 70 mph. The engine cuts out for a split second, the doors unlock and lock, the gauges drop and come back. Basicly lost the electrical syste, for a split second. But it happened over and over on the way home. The thing is, once I dropped down to about 50 mph, it was fine. I went up to 70 and it started doing it again. WTF?
Got home and checked battery connects. They were tight. I have been having problems keeping the + cable tight though. Took them off and the they were clean. Looking more closely at the + battery terminal, It is gouged out pretty good from coming loose. I put a wrench on it anyway and got about a half a turn out of it. Took it back out on the highway and it was fine. I think I am going to replace the battery and possibly the + cable. The + cable goes down close the block and splits off up to the alternator. It also splits off at the battery term and goes under the fuse block. I couldn't get under the fuse block without major surgery, but the split down by the block is closed in a small red junction box. The connects in there were clean and tight. I need to get it up on stands to check the connects at the starter and the ground. Odd that it's fine around town but when I get on the interstate up to 70 it freaks out.
This will be fun to fix. :eek2:

Rivieraracing 03-10-2008 07:52 AM

Did you ever get her figured out?

mkatts 03-17-2008 07:09 PM

No. Replaced the batter and the terminal bolts on Sunday thinking that since the pos cable kept comgin loose that was the problem. No dice.
I did notice that I am not loosing the radio or compass when it happens. The SES light comes on, the tach drops a few lines as does the the spedometer. Plus the doors unlock.
Now I am thinking it's the ECM. Since the ECM locks the doors when shifted into drive, and unlocks when shifted into park.
So I am really leaning towards the ECM.
Thoughts?

Rivieraracing 03-17-2008 10:05 PM

Just a stab in the dark but do you have any kind of aftermarket alarm or remote start installed in you truck? When you are hitting 70, is your tranny downshifting at all at that time (since you are still having that problem as well)? Keep testing her out and keep trying to notice what else is staying powered up when everything else seems to be losing power, that can really help figure out the problem. It could very well be computer related, just hard to tell right now, are you getting any codes popping up?

mkatts 03-18-2008 07:59 AM

No after market alarm or remote start (I am going to install one this summer)
Yesterday it start acting up when I went to pass someone, but I don't think I stepped on the gas enough to kick it down a gear. I will have to try pay attention to that today on the way home. Neither the radio nor the heater blower shut off when the engine cuts out. So it seems more like the ECM the more I think about it. I think the loose battery cable was just another problem. Or it could be what messed up the ECM to begin with. When I first found the loose cable it was hanging on by a thread, literaly.
Where is the ECM located in the 05 Tahoe? It's been forever since I replaced one, then it was on the passenger side kick panel.

robj 03-18-2008 08:10 AM

if the SES light comes on that means it threw a code... go get the code read and you will have your problem : )it will be in the history you prolly need a gm Tech II to find it

JKmotorsports 03-18-2008 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkatts (Post 49428)
Now I am thinking it's the ECM. Since the ECM locks the doors when shifted into drive, and unlocks when shifted into park.
So I am really leaning towards the ECM.
Thoughts?

BCM (body control module) controls those functions, but you mentioned the ses coming on. As far as I know, only the PCM (powertrain control module) can throw the ses light.
The bcm is underneath the driver's knee bolster and the pcm is in the engine bay towards the front on the driver's side.

mkatts 03-18-2008 12:23 PM

The SES light come on during the split second that the engine stalls and goes back off as when the engine picks back up.
The PCMm is under the Fuse block then on the drivers side?

JKmotorsports 03-18-2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkatts (Post 49640)
The SES light come on during the split second that the engine stalls and goes back off as when the engine picks back up.
The PCMm is under the Fuse block then on the drivers side?

Closer towards the front, in a black cover. There will two harnesses plugged into it.

mkatts 03-18-2008 07:09 PM

It's pouring down rain otherwise I would go look, but on my truck, I have the battery, then right behind that is fuse block. Going off of memory, there was a large amount of wires going under the block, but I figured that was because of the fuses. I will hopefully be able to check it tomorrow. What is the estimated cost of the PCM?