Valentine One Radar Detector Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a V1 radar detector in my 2007 LTZ today. I thought I would post what I did. I'm sure there are a lot of different ways to do this. Mine came out looking very professional. I used 1 inch wide by 1/8 inch thick flat aluminum bar stock for the bracket. I mounted it on the drivers side and used the plastic piece that holds the right side of the (driver's) sun visor to the roof. I removed the plastic part using a #15 torx screwdriver (to get to the screw use a small screwdriver to lift the cap on the back side of the visor support). I placed the plastic part with the square side down onto the aluminum bar stock and traced the outline with a Sharpie. I used a drill press (any electric drill would do as well) and drilled out as much of the metal within the box that I drew as possible. I then used a Dremel to smooth the rough edges. I left about 3/8 inch of the aluminum beyond the start of the hole (pointing toward the back of the truck). The plastic piece that holds the right side of the driver's visor in place should now fit through the metal bar stock where you hollowed out the rectangle. The original screw will hold it place when you are done. I used the bracket that came with the V1 (the one that is normally used with the visor clip) to mount the aluminum bar to (remove the clip first. You will not need it). You need to drill two holes through the plastic bracket and then through the aluminum bar and secure the bar to the bracket with two small screws. You also will need to file the screws down if they are two long as there is not much clearance between the radar detector and the plastic bracket. The bar itself will need to be bent to insure that the radar detector is level. I wrapped clear tape around the part of the bar that sits on the headliner so it won't leave marks when I take it off. The mount can hardly be seen and is in a perfect place for the radar detector. It is almost impossible to detect from the front of the truck. I ran the phone cable that the V1 uses for power from the fuse block on the left side of the dash. I used an add-a-fuse and connected the V1 inline fuse to it. I then ran the cable up the pillar and across the windshield. It can't be seen. I also installed the V1 remote unit on the steering column using another phone cable that runs under the dash to the crack between the steering column and the dash. The only thing I am not happy with is that I cannot find a place to splice the power wire so that is not hot all the time. i would like the power to be switched but can't find any of the fuses where it is. The entire process took about an hour. I'm sure you could do something similar if you have another model of detector. the beauty of this method is that the rectangle that you cut out of the aluminum fits nicely around the plastic visor support so it is not prone to twist or move at all.

Last edited:

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't taken any pictures. I will try to get a couple and see if I can figure out how to post them.

genestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I am not happy with is that I cannot find a place to splice the power wire so that is not hot all the time. i would like the power to be switched but can't find any of the fuses where it is.
How about the fuse panel at the end of the dash after you open the drivers door? There are several fuses there where I used an add-a-fuse although I was not looking for a keyed one, but there should be some in there. And of course there are many in the main fuse panel under the hood next to the drivers fender.

TARJr

Reaction score
good luck finding a keyed (+12v acc) fuse, I spent hours and tested them all. I ended up tapping into the only one I could find near the left side of the brake pedal. I have my GPS and V1 hooked into it. I can send pics if you'd like.

genestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a keyed 12v power source on the end of the dash on the passenger side. There is an empty socket in the panel that has several small and larger posts. The second one down on the bottom row is keyed to go on and off. Be aware that this location is not fused so be sure to add a fuse in the line. See pic

Attachments

• keyed_12v.jpg
    keyed_12v.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 125

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't wait to see pics. There's a place called invisicord.com that sells a cord for the Valentine One that plugs into the back of the rear view mirror. I saw a bracket that a guy made that attached to the rear view mirror. Pretty slick.