Removing fan shroud?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ashevilleboy00

Reaction score
I have an 01 tahoe....planning on taking out the belt driven fan and putting in electrics! In the meantime, does anyone feel it would be a bad idea to just remove the shroud, and leave the belt driven fan. I really cant fathom it being a problem, just thought I would ask. Oh btw planning on taking a trip up the east coast from S. Fl to CT so lotta highway driving. I am hoping this will keep things cooler till I order the electric fans!!!!!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
The shroud allows the fan to pull air straight through the radiator rather than just spinning the air around the outside edges of the blades and pulling it in from all around. This will allow more air through the radiator and keep it a few degrees cooler. I wouldn't remove the shroud until you are actually in the process of installing the electrics.

shadow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. The shroud directs air through the rad, important to keep it on.

Not sure why you are going to electrics, my '00 5.3 Tahoe has never run above spec 195temp with the stock set up, no matter how hot it gets outside. If you are having cooling issues, expecially at idle, or going very slow, it's probably the fan clutch, thermostat going bad, or both.

ashevilleboy00

Reaction score
I am installing electrics because the throttle body spacer will not fit with a CAI. The fan blades are in the way. I really don't think trimming the blades is a good idea, so rather than trim I'll just take them out!

str8wkd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i remember a post on here about the tbs and cold air hitting fan the guy did trim the fan blades and posted pics on hoe to do it seemed turn turn out good tryed finding it to post but did not sorry