On-Star question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reddemon71

Reaction score
My onstar is not activiated, I was messing around with the buttons the other day and now everytime i start the truck it says phone not available. This also happens when the trk in shut off and sitting in the garage or any place else, It keeps repeating "phone is not available" I went to the dealer and they said it's a module problem, Is that true? Anyway i can just disconnect the onstar from the fuse box or anything?

reddemon71

Reaction score
Been doing some searching, apprently you can disable the onstar module. I'm wondering if any of you have done this, where is it located? and can't you just remove the fuse?

reddemon71

Reaction score
Ok took the fuse out and it solved my problem. I guess the only part that sucks is the fuse is for the onstar and rear entertaiment. but i'm a single guy and no kids so it will work for me

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OnStar isn't supported anymore for any of the pre-08 GM vehicles. The old system was analog, and was completely deactivated by GM as of this month (to the best of my knowledge). The new vehicles are on a digital OnStar system.

GM actually just sent me a letter in the mail stating that if I wanted to get the OnStar module completely deactivated, that I could take the letter into the dealership and they do it at no charge. I say go to the dealership and have them do it, that way you can keep your rear entertainment system.

tekkitan

Reaction score
sucks for me. i bought mine used so i probably wont get a letter =\

now i have a huge antenna on the roof that i couldn't use if i wanted to. they drill through the roof for the wire, dont they? (i havent actually tried to take it off)

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sucks for me. i bought mine used so i probably wont get a letter =\

now i have a huge antenna on the roof that i couldn't use if i wanted to. they drill through the roof for the wire, dont they? (i havent actually tried to take it off)

It sucks overall, becasue in the letter they sent me, they also said that in the event of a crash involving an airbag deployment or near-deployment, OnStar on my truck will still attempt to activate but won't get a dial tone - if the truck isn't running after the crash, it will continue to try to dial until the battery is dead. :ack:

I bought my truck used too about 18 months ago, but registered it on a GM website...I don't remember which one, but I was attempting to do a VIN check through GM to make sure there weren't any outstanding recalls or anything important that hadn't been done yet.

Not sure which antenna you're talking about, as mine connects to the rear window. Do you have a pic? Most of them are removeable one way or another unless it's an aftermarket deal. I know that for the one mounted on my window, there is the antenna portion on the outside that is attached with adhesive, and a module on the inside of the window that is also attached with adhesive. The signal just passes through the glass from the antenna to the module, and it's the module on the inside that has the wires running to it. It was the same way with my Grand Prix, they took it off completely when they did my window tint. I just left it off though bc I thought it looked cleaner that way.

tekkitan

Reaction score
It sucks overall, becasue in the letter they sent me, they also said that in the event of a crash involving an airbag deployment or near-deployment, OnStar on my truck will still attempt to activate but won't get a dial tone - if the truck isn't running after the crash, it will continue to try to dial until the battery is dead. :ack:

I bought my truck used too about 18 months ago, but registered it on a GM website...I don't remember which one, but I was attempting to do a VIN check through GM to make sure there weren't any outstanding recalls or anything important that hadn't been done yet.

Not sure which antenna you're talking about, as mine connects to the rear window. Do you have a pic? Most of them are removeable one way or another unless it's an aftermarket deal. I know that for the one mounted on my window, there is the antenna portion on the outside that is attached with adhesive, and a module on the inside of the window that is also attached with adhesive. The signal just passes through the glass from the antenna to the module, and it's the module on the inside that has the wires running to it. It was the same way with my Grand Prix, they took it off completely when they did my window tint. I just left it off though bc I thought it looked cleaner that way.

not very clear but you can see two of my antennas. the one on the passenger side is XM, the driver side is supposed to be onstar (not sure what else it could be if it wasn't)

2732961939_229020493_IM1_02_565x421_A_562x421.jpg

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm, never seen it mounted there before, but then again I'm not the most knowledgable guy when it comes to the various differences between model years. It almost looks like dual XM antennas, but more than likely OnStar is one and XM is the other like you said.

Do you use the XM much? If so, keep them both. If not, remove them both. Or leave em both on either way, whatever suits your fancy. Just don't remove one and not the other...it will throw off the look big time since they are both spaced evenly, IMO.

tekkitan

Reaction score
actually, i just replaced the factory radio and got an aftermarket xm tuner to hook up to the new stereo. i want to remove the onstar but keep the xm, but if there are holes under them, i will leave them. if there are no holes, i'll remove them both and install the smaller more hidden xm antenna :)

woldd90

Reaction score
OnStar isn't supported anymore for any of the pre-08 GM vehicles. The old system was analog, and was completely deactivated by GM as of this month (to the best of my knowledge). The new vehicles are on a digital OnStar system.
QUOTE]

This is completely not true... my 04 Yukon XL has the On-star subscription and the built in phone is tied to my Verizon account. The analogue system was pre 2004.

tekkitan

Reaction score
QUOTE]

This is completely not true... my 04 Yukon XL has the On-star subscription and the built in phone is tied to my Verizon account. The analogue system was pre 2004.

I'm still screwed then haha. I heard that systems that have it installed factory in '02 and earlier are completely out of luck, '03 years can get an "expensive" upgrade to make it work.

Oh well, I didn't plan on using it anyways. I just wanted to keep it for resale value if I ever decided to sell, but I guess that won't matter anymore.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
QUOTE]

Then I misread the letter that the factory sent me. They way they phrased it made it seem as though anyone who had a pre-08 vehicle was going to have issues. So, my bad on that one. Either way, like tek said, he's still out of luck. :lol:

Besides, the info that I provided wasn't COMPLETELY untrue, just that one detail. Decaf maybe? ;) :lol:

01lt_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

GM actually just sent me a letter in the mail stating that if I wanted to get the OnStar module completely deactivated, that I could take the letter into the dealership and they do it at no charge. I say go to the dealership and have them do it, that way you can keep your rear entertainment system.

I thought it was pre-03 vehicles?

MikeCallery

Reaction score
Actually, some On-Star systems in some vehicles were using Analog carriers depending on the vehicle and market. Some systems were not. If your system uses Verizon, your on a digital system already and hence you will be fine. If you are on Cingular, for example, you may or may not be digital.

I can tell you that my 06 Z71 is fine, though I am working on canceling the package as I don't care to spend $18. to be told my tire pressure is ok and my oil needs to be changed in a few more miles.