Corvette calipers on Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the BIG brake kit's run some serious coin... By why couldnt we just have someone fab a bracket up to run the corvette calipers on a larger rotor? The calipers themselves can be had for a few hundred at most and I would think they would have plenty of stopping power for these trucks. (they are only 2 piston though if anyone cares).

Does anyone know how we could engage someone to make a bracket? I could try to fab up a bracket with MDF or something and send it off?.....

Just thinking out loud here.

JsnChristianson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a pretty unique idea, I would be interested in seeing how it would turn out. What generation of Tahoe are you interested in doing this to, GMT 400, GMT 800, or GMT 900?

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I originally wanted to do this for a buddy of mine with a 96... but now i have an 08, so i was thinking of following through with the idea myself! :)

I am not an engineer or anything, but i imagine it could be done pretty easily. Other items like brake proportioning may need to be considered as well. Not really sure though.

Hell, even if they diddnt improve braking, they sure would be a nice bling mod :)

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what the difference is in the surface area of the two pads? And the difference in rotor size?

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what the difference is in the surface area of the two pads? And the difference in rotor size?

I havent even begun to look at this yet... This is all just an idea i had. I am hoping to pull a whell off the hoe and take some measurements and look over the pads, etc.

What about clearance on inside of wheel?

Have you ever seen the clearance on a corvette? There is nothing, the rim is barely away from the caliper (1/8th inch?) but that is because of the offset of the wheels. Again, i would have to look at the tahoe, but because it is a simple 2 piston caliper, i dont see wheel clearance being an issue.

I was really hoping to put a larger rotor on... i imagine you would need at least an 18" rim to clear the caliper and rotor when all is said and done. The rotors may be the pricey piece... I imagine i would be looking at a two piece deal from bear or stoptech.

Time for homework i suppose.....

strangeengine

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Swept area of the pad is irrelevant (if you need more force on the rotor, you just push harder on the pad).

Rotor size is important - it's a heat sink. There's also some lever arm advantages to larger diameter rotors, but it's pretty insignificant next to the heat storage ability of the rotor mass.

Frankly, the best way to improve braking performance is stickier tires. If the stock brakes can lock the tires, well, you've got plenty of braking performance already.

Doesn't look as cool as blingy big brakes, though. :)

- Mark, club racer
2007 Yukon XL Denali pending

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swept area of the pad is irrelevant (if you need more force on the rotor, you just push harder on the pad).

Rotor size is important - it's a heat sink. There's also some lever arm advantages to larger diameter rotors, but it's pretty insignificant next to the heat storage ability of the rotor mass.

Frankly, the best way to improve braking performance is stickier tires. If the stock brakes can lock the tires, well, you've got plenty of braking performance already.

Doesn't look as cool as blingy big brakes, though. :)

- Mark, club racer
2007 Yukon XL Denali pending

Makes sense to me... so how do you test your stopping power, unplug the ABS and try to lock em up?

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do plan on taking measurements and such, just havent found the time yet.

May be a while... new baby arrived 8 weeks early on friday.

Grillmaster

Reaction score
I did a brake upgrade on my Regal and went from the stock 10.9 inch rotor to the "police package" 11.9 in rotors and the difference was AMAZING. All that was needed was a larger caliper bracket and a new rotor. Does anyone have a list of what parts are upgraded on the gmt900 platform for law enforcement vehicles? For GM W-Bodies police cars got larger brakes, larger radiator, beefed up stabilizer bars, higher output alternator and other misc. stuff that just bolts right in. I would assume police Yukons and Tahoes got upgrades, but I haven't been able to find specific part numbers for comparison yet.

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All tahoe's, yukons, burb's, etc... have 4 wheel disk brakes.

chris6789

Reaction score
corvette weighs about 1500 lbs. less than tahoe. not a good idea. i would convert rear to disc and go with aftermarket front brake upgrade. safety is worth the money.

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Police package

I read an article that stated the police package does indeed have larger brakes from the factory.

I have asked a contact of mine who deals with gm parts if he could throw a package togethor with the brackets and the rotors. I am assuming they use the same calipers, but asked him to find that out as well.

He should be able to physically see if the corvette calipers bolt onto the brackets as well (just to de-bunk the theory one way or the other)

Will keep everyone updated on what we find.

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tahoes thru 99 are rear wheel drum. rear disc wasn't available until 2000 model year.

Well, since this is the 2007+ forum section I would assume he is thinking everyone here is talking about the newer models. In that regard GM did not put drum brakes on any of the current production models, 4 wheel disc is standard.

Last edited:

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think your going to gain anything really by putting Corvette brakes on the Tahoe unless you look at the 6 piston C6 Z06 calipers. As far as rotor size the Tahoe already has as big or bigger rotors then the Corvette. My 96 Corvette had 13.5" rotors and my 2004 Corvette has 12.6" rotors. Keep in mind the car comes in around 3100lbs. so that is a lot of stopping power on that light of car. The new Tahoe has 13.5" rotors on it from the factory. If you want to increase stopping power I think your going to have to look at an aftermarket kit to do that.:thumbsup:

Last edited: