Cranking Noise At Startup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

biff467

Reaction score
I have a 05 Yukon SLT. I noticed that sometimes when I turn my truck on I get a weird noise. It's not the autoride air compressor, I get that every other time I turn my truck on. I turn it on and it'll idle for 2 seconds and then it makes this cranking noise for just a second, and then it's gone and it's like nothing ever happened. I was just wondering if anyone's experienced this noise. Hopefully it's not something big that might cause big problems down the road?? I only have 70,000 miles on it..:confused:

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have to be more specific about what it sounds like and where it's coming from in order for us to pinpoint it exactly.

My initial thoughts are perhaps it's the A/C compressor? I know on ours it seems like it wouldn't engage until a couple seconds after starting the vehicle, and it does make a distinct sound like something is spinning up, especially from the outside of the car. Could perhaps even be a radiator fan spinning up a couple seconds after starting. An easy way to check is to open the hood, have someone start the car and see if you can pinpoint the noise with something moving in there.

Botches

Reaction score
I have heard the power steering pump make a funny noise on start up just for a few seconds then it would stop. Replaced pump and no noise. Just a thought.

biff467

Reaction score
ya idk.. I was thinking at first it might just be a belt, or compressor (something like that). But unless I am hearing wrong, it isn't like something spinning. It's like a major crank noise. I think the closest thing I could think of is when a truck switches into 4X4 mode. Only it's a louder crank than that.

speedr1023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it at turn of the key or when you engage transmission? Also is it every time or once in a while. Any other conditions you may be able to note, like only when raining, cold, etc.

biff467

Reaction score
It's def. when the ignition is started. Because I can hear it with my windows down before I even put my foot on the brake to put it in gear. I have just noticed it this winter, so I don't remember it happening in the summer. And yes, I never know when it's coming, it's a once in awhile random thing.

atxballer

Reaction score
It's def. when the ignition is started. Because I can hear it with my windows down before I even put my foot on the brake to put it in gear. I have just noticed it this winter, so I don't remember it happening in the summer. And yes, I never know when it's coming, it's a once in awhile random thing.

Hey biff467! I have the same thing happening on my Tahoe. It definitely seems like it only happens (intermittently of course) during the winter. Did you ever figure out what it was? The noise I compared it to sounded like a thud or popping a dent out.

I even posted on here trying to get an answer.

http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=801

Please let me know what you were able to find.

biff467

Reaction score
No No.. it's definitely not that. Trust me I have AWD and I've heard that noise plenty in the winter here in Michigan. haha. But it's good to know that I'm not the only one that notices this noise. It is a def. crank. I guess the only ones that know what I'm talking about are the ones that have had it happen. I will try to get some answers on it, and to the last post that had the problem as well-- keep me posted if you find anything out as well.

Botches

Reaction score
not to beat a dead dog or anything............ but my power steering pump made a noise, maybe something like your cranking noise. also it only happened during the winter.