Newbie with 2 tech questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just joined and have been reading alot, as I plan to get a Z71 4X4 within the next month or two. Cool site...

Question 1 is regarding the 4.10 gear option. I want to get it (I suppose I will have to order the truck to get that), because I want to put 33" tires on it and it seems like a fair compensation. What I don't understand is this- how can it be an option for the rear differential only; wouldn't you have to do the same for the front?

Question 2- In reading about the Lockpick for the Navi, etc., this looks like a really awesome solution, one that I wouldn't hesitate to get, BUT... I've also read that it might be a bit buggy. Is it a good product, or is it just too good to be true?

Thanks in advance for your help, I can't wait to join your ranks...

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 4.10 is a very good option if you plan on different tires or towing or both. i think they are the same for front and rear with 4x4, but im not sure.

i have it and found a huge upgrade in towing preformance compared to th 3.42's

someone else will have to help you on the lockpic though, i dont like them for the reason of bugs, and also the inspections are so strict here i could not pass if i had the lock pic. they test EVERYTHING here. :sad:

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay thanks. Does seem like they would have to put them in the front too, right? But all the option pages i've seen say rear. Hmmm...
And they really test for things like that in VA? That's crazy. I guess they actually put it in drive and make sure it restricts you as per the factory settings?
Shall I assume you had to order the truck to get the 4.10s? I really want those gears, but may have to order the truck anyway to get the other specifics I want.
Thanks so much for your help. Can't wait...

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gear ratio for the rear will be the same as the front, other wise the wheels will be spinning at different rates. The option for gear ratio includes frt and rear diffs.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I thought too; the thing that threw me off was that all of the descriptions for that option specifically say something to the effect of "rear axle, 4:10 ratio". And since it's only $100, how could that cover a fit to both axles. Now I know they're not gonna have you chirpin your way down the road, but it made me wonder if they had some kind of tech in the transfer case to equalize the axles, or forbid you from using it on dry asphalt, or something. Sounds ridiculous I know, but that's how much this is driving me crazy. I don't know, wierd.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta agree with you still, johnebgoode. Maybe they just have a typo on the site, which gets copied by other sites such as Carsdirect? Not the first error I saw on Chevy's site. Another one is when you select LT3 it offers you Convenience Package 1 (should be 2). And looks like the only way to select Z71 is to pick the 2 tone seats, and then, bam! it's a Z71. I can't configure a Z71 with solid seat color. Lame...

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will be matching 4.10s FRONT and REAR...it's just a typo. Your transfer case would otherwise go "kaboom" very quickly... :lol:

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So then I'll have a COMBINED net gear ratio of 8.20:1, right? Sweet!!! Ha Ha, just kidding... So do you guys think that is a smart move to get the
4.10s if I am planning to run 33's?
Oh, and a shout out to Coville, Gonzo, and Alyssa for showing some sweet rides. You can tell I am partial to lifted 4Xs with black paint.