Fuel gauge help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bow4elk

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Tahoe w/ 170,000 mi. I've had it 2 years. 2nd owner. Well maintained its whole life. Recently the fuel gauge started acting up. Filled it one morning and as I left the station the gauge dropped to empty and the low fuel light came on. 1 mile from there the gauge started to rise at a rate comparable to gassing up at the pump. Light went off. Then it drops to empty again then full. Any ideas on whats causing this? I've looked at some previous posts on here but nothing with no similar symptoms.Thanks for you help.

blk2012gt

Reaction score
Just taking a guess, check your fuel pressure, might be your pump going out. If you're getting a false read, could just be your cluster is going bad. There's videos on YouTube on how you install kits they sell for the cluster.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Daddywagon

Reaction score
Its the sender going bad. Its an issue with gm trucks. You can either buy a whole new pump assembly or have autozone order a new float aka sender or find it on ebay. But you are going to have to drop your fuel tank with either.