P1345 Code Fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings All,
After replacing the lower intake manifold gasket on a 1996 Tahoe 5.7L, and re-installing the distributor, the car was throwing code P1345 (cam position and crank position don't agree). The car did run ok, more or less. The proper method to correct is to attach a scanner with cam retard data. I don't have one so I did this:

To clear the code, I did the following with the assumption that the distributor was misaligned. 1) made an alignment mark on the cap to a fixed part of the engine. 2) used scanner to take some base measurements which I didn't need to use. 3) cleared code 4) started engine and counted to see how long it took for the CEL to glow (base iteration - immediate) 5) moved distributor, cleared code, started car, observed time to CEL ... repeat.

Results: 1st iteration = car did not start (in this case counter-clockwise turn on the distributor was incorrect) 2nd iteration = 2-3 seconds for CEL to light, 3rd iteration 4 to 5 seconds, 4th iteration no CEL. Tightened distributor, so far so good.

I hope this helps someone else to get their car better tuned without having to by a new scanner. I believe this applies only to the OBD II trucks (1996 and newer).

Cheers!

Last edited:

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1996-2000 Vortec 350 this will work on. It wont get it 100% but it will get the light to stay off.

squeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am rather hoping it is close enough to pass California smog test.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could always add a little additive to the fuel to help it pass if it fails.. they make one for such an application....

squeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick follow-up ... the Tahoe DID pass smog (after one retest due to a vacuum line that I did not hook up). It is now back on the road after a 2 year absence and seems to be running well (and not leaking) (is there an emoji for "knock on wood"?).