1996 Steering loose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squ3akee

Reaction score
Hi all,

I keep reading and going back to my Tahoe with alternatives.
I have the same symptoms as everyone with Sloppy Steering between 11-1 o'clock and having to correct to keep it on the road.

I have replaced (idler, pittman arm, gear box, power steering pump, belts), shocks. Have adjusted the new gear box with the allen wrench, still no improvement.

I am the second owner, and have had this vehicle since it had 48k miles.
Now at 195k.

The steering feels like something has worn out at around the 100-125k mile area. Reading EVERYwhere, it sounds like I'm down to the intermediate steering shaft with the rag joint. I'm checking today to see if I have the sensor under the dash. I don't think mine was early enough to have it - as I would have noticed it when replacing the power steering pump.

I had ball joints inspected - they were supposedly fine.

Upon diagnosing, when turning the steering wheel the shaft doesn't seem to respond when turning the wheel inside. (2 person test)

Does this sound like the correct diagnosis for the intermediate shaft?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a doorman rag joint at the autoparts store, like 10 bucks.

1996 did not have EVO....

Rag Joint is under plastic cover just as shaft enters gearbox....

98_2DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could this be the same part for a 1998 2 door tahoe? i have same issues as the poster after having dealer replace the front end and i replaced the steering box.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rag joint is the same on the 98 as the 96...... EVO is 97+ option......

gary350

Reaction score
My vehicle did that. The gear box has an arm the bushing on the end of that arm is bad. Steering arm that attaches to the linkage rod bushing is bad. Replace the bushing before it causes damage to the other arms.