96 tahoe won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigoct9166

Reaction score
What up. I have a 96 tahoe 4wd that will crank but won't start. I've checked the fuel pump, filter,changed ignition coil,checked all fuses, cleaned fuel injector spider, and changed timing chain. After all that it still just crank but won't start. What did I miss? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start on a shot of carb cleaner? Getting spark?

bigoct9166

Reaction score
Actually used a little gas and yes its getting spark from all wires. When I used the gas still no start. It's still cranks but didn't start.

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said you used a little gas. It has spark but will not start. How did you use the gas? Your answers are not clear enough. How do you know the wires have spark? Sorry but more detail and less generalization is needed.

bigoct9166

Reaction score
I poured gas in the intake not much though because I didn't have starter fluid and I tested each wire with spark tester to make sure they all was firing and I checked all spark plugs to make sure they were good.

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spraying of carb cleaner works better because it is an aerosol and can travel to the valves easier than just trying to pour gas down the throat. You gotta have fuel, spark and compression and timed at the right time to get an explosion in the cylinder. Had the dist out recently? Was this just all of a sudden, worked ok the day before and now not?

bigoct9166

Reaction score
I was driving on the highway about 20 minutes leaving work. When I was getting off on my exit I felt the truck cut off. I cruised to the side of the road and tried to restart the truck. That's when it happened. All it would do is turn over but not crank. I've been trying to figure it out ever since.

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me help you with your description. Turning over and cranking are the same thing. "It would turn over/crank but not fire off." I would expect a module but it does not sound like it. I think you have a pin hole in the rotor and as you crank the engine you have fire at the plugs some times but not always. If you look, take the rotor off and turn over and look for a round discoloration at the bottom side that looks like waves spreading out in the water like just after throwing a rock. Starts in the center and moves outward. Replace the dist cap and rotor as a set and verify the module under there looks ok. The pickup coil wire that plugs in to one end of the module should be in tact where it attaches at the pickup coil at the center. @ wires, make sure neither is broken. I can tell you that if one wire is broken then you should not have spark. We may be on to something here.

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, the reason I say likely not a module is that if starting to go out usually it will cool off and restart again. If is all the way out then should not have any spark

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the fuel pressure when you checked the pump?

bigoct9166

Reaction score
Didn't have tool to measure the number but when I press the release valve on the intake the gas skeets out strong. So I'm assuming that the pressure is good.

Poppa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 96 did they have any crank/cam sensors? I had a 96 pick up ,fuel pump was wired through the oil pressure switch ,no pressure ,no start. Just a thought....

bigoct9166

Reaction score
I replaced the distributor cap and rotor button. Still the same results. Cranks but doesn't fire up.

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am assuming then that you replaced because you saw the pattern I suggested or not? Either way it is not the most expensive thing to replace. Back to the drawing board. Bet you are frustrated now. I would be. By the way, how did that pickup coil wire look at both ends? 2 wires at each end. Did you happen to look at the module while in there? 5.7 engine, does have cam and crank sensor. Without the proper test equipment it is just throwing parts at it now.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If 9x crank signal is missing the ICM wont fire the coil, check this sensor and its wiring to the ICM from the timing cover to the ICM in the distributor. Check for power to module and coil also.

Also, ASSuming the pressure is good has bit me in the ASSumption before....... like on the POS van I am working on now.....