Dealer says I need an air induction and transfer case fluid change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NDIrishLacrosse

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

New user here, but I have had my Tahoe for 2 years. I get all my service done at the dealership, and like most dealerships, they are looking to nickle and dime me at every chance they get.

The Tahoe manual shows that it has a very easy maintenance schedule, with not much to do. In contrast, my Jeep that I owned before my Tahoe broke down everything by 3,000 miles and what should be done along with every oil change.

I am going to get my oil change next week (at approx 50,000 miles) along with my normal service and tire rotation. They are also requesting that I get a transfer case fluid change for the 4WD (I remember putting this off at my last appointment, mostly because they are asking for $300 for it without any coupons) and an air induction to remove carbon deposits.

I don't use my 4WD that often, and it stays mostly in 2 wheel high... with all the snow we had this winter, I did have to throw it into 4WD high or 4WD auto a few times, but other than that I rarely am in 4WD and I don't go off roading. I see in the manual it mentions a fluid change at 50,000 miles but when towing frequently or under harsh conditions, or 100,000 miles under normal conditions.

Is all this dealer crap or does anyone recommend doing this?

Also, when do you get your oil changed... at a specific mile interval or when the on board computer tells you to get it changed?

Thanks in advance!

jmeyers278

Reaction score
transfer case fluid change is a good idea at 50k....just because you don't use the 4wd much doesn't matter. The driveshafts turn no matter what meaning your gears in your transfer case are always turning...no matter if it is locked in 4wd or not. If you have ever had the expense of rebuilding a transfer case you will think the 300 bucks is a bargain for good oil. As far as engine oil goes it totally depends on what type you are using. The cheap barrel oil the stealer puts in should be changed every 3k. If you are using a high end synthetic you can stretch to 7500 although I recommend doing a filter change in the middle of that. I don't listen to the computer on that. Again if you are planning on keeping your hoe a long time I would err on the side of caution.

PACABADA

Reaction score
fluid changes

I agree with jmeyers278 on oil changes but 300 for transfer case only? Seems high, or does that include the rear end also using synthetic oil??? But I have never priced synthetic gear oil either but know it's expensive so I could be wrong. Remember telling me to stay away from Techron Mobil gas back in 2001. My 00 Z71 has 219K and never cleaned throttle body but that one time with 10K on it.

Paul

00 Tahoe
07 Tahoe