Hydroboost system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevalanche

Reaction score
For those of you who have the Hydroboost Brake System, is there anyone who has experienced the unit "weeping" fluid from the front (looks like a valve)? I notice mine has a thin coating of fluid coming from the above mentioned valve. It's not dripping all over, but the unit is definitely wet. After doing some research, I discovered that there is a TSB involving a cracked "O ring" that could cause the condition I have described. There was also a recall in 2005 involving 2003-2004 vehicles for possible cracking of the units; mine was not involved in the recall.

I checked the power steering level and it is right on the "cold" mark; brake fluid level is right on the full line too.

I priced the unit at the local GMC dealer; almost $500.00! A rebuilt unit is $395.00 plus tax.

If I were to continue driving with the unit the way it is would it be alright for a while? It is a 2005 Avalanche LT Z-71 with 31,600 miles.

Any and all input / advice is greatly appreciated.

delta579

Reaction score
I had a '87 K3500(Plow Truck) with the same problem. Cost of replacement was to high. Guy at parts store told a cheap cure. Clean area around base with carb/brake cleaner, use a pick and small wire brush to get it as clean as possible. Get some HIGH temp adhesive and apply it liberally around the base. Damn id that didn't do the trick. I plowed and hauled with that truck for 3 years without a leak.

chevalanche

Reaction score
That sounds like a good fix, and if done properly it should look factory. I did contact GMparts.com and they quoted me $280.84 / list $550.66. Still, i'd rather try a fix before removing the unit (not the easiest job), especially with the low mileage. I'll give the sealant a try and post back with the results. Thanks for the suggestion. Should I fill in the whole hole where the valve is, or just around the circle?

delta579

Reaction score
Around the circle first. The small hole at the bottom is a weep hole for condensation. An oily residue coming from this hole could indicate an internal seal leak which would require a rebuild/replace. I sealed both when I did it, with no problems.