Clock on Nav system??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brandibit

Reaction score
I bought an '08 Z71 in October. I love it!! :Chevy:

One very minor problem.....

The clock on the radio is gone sometimes. It will be gone for a few days and then I will get in and crank up and it appears again and will work fine for a few days. When it is gone, it does not even show up on the menu to change the time. I'm not crazy, hubby seen it too. I'm sure though if I take it to the dealership it will be there and they will think I'm just a crazy woman. Go figure :rolleyes:

Anyone else have this problem?? What could it be?? :confused:

theDRisin

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Silverado with the same navagation system as the Tahoes and my clock just disappeared today too. Have you figured out what causes this and how to get it back?

theDRisin

Reaction score
I just got in the truck 2 hours later and it's back! very strange...

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it's a GPS signal issue -- do you all park in a "dense" garage, or underground or something? Still, very weird.

brandibit

Reaction score
I do not park in a garage. It is very open, but in the country. I just dunno. Maybe I can get it to the dealer soon.

theDRisin

Reaction score
It's actually the opposite, it went out while I was driving on the freeway (and it's a sunny day) and came back after 2 hours parked in an underground lot.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you driven through any time warps?:lol:

brodg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Document ID# 1924274
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Clock Missing From Navigation Display Screen - keywords inoperative menu radio time U3U UVB #PIT3985B - (03/20/2007)

Models: 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Tahoe, Silverado, Suburban

2007 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL, Denali, Denali XL, Serria

With RPO (U3U or UVB)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI is being superseded to update models. Please discard PIT3985A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may experience a concern where the clock will disappear from all the navigation and radio screens. The customer may also notice that the clock menu for setting the clock will also be missing.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Please do not replace the radio to resolve this concern. Engineering is investigating the issue and this P/I will be updated when a fix is available.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1924274
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recall someone mentioning on another forum that they had a MP3 CD in the player when this happened and by removing it, the clock came back. Yes I realize this is anecdotal evidence but just thought would mention it. :Chevy:

brandibit

Reaction score
The MP3 thing may just be it. I keep one in most of the time unless the kids want to watch a movie then I take it out and put the movie in. I will check this when I get off work today. Thank you guys!!!

theDRisin

Reaction score
Now that you mention that, I actually had an MP3 CD in for the first time right before my clock disappeared also. I think it was still in there when the clock disappeared, but I can not be certain. I'll keep that in mind if I ever see it happen again. Thanks.

Shocker

Reaction score
Definitely something to do with MP3 Cd's my clock was gone, I read this thread and popped out the MP3 CD and the next time I started the truck (07 Tahoe), there was the clock... Strange.

brodg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
xTooltipElement Service Information 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD | Avalanche, Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 2065545

#08-08-44-002: Navigation Radio Clock and/or Clock Tab Do Not Appear or Disappears Intermittently (Update Navigation Radio with N ew Software) - (Feb 15, 2008)

Subject: Navigation Radio Clock and/or Clock Tab Do Not Appear or Disappears Intermittently (Update Navigation Radio with New Software)

Models: 2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

2008 HUMMER H2

with Radio RPO UVB or U3U

Condition
Some customers may comment that the clock and/or the clock tab does not appear on the navigation screen.

Cause
This condition may be caused by a software anomaly, which causes the clock and/or clock tab to disappear during the ignition key cycle.

Correction
DO NOT REPLACE THE NAVIGATION RADIO.

Using the Tech 2®, verify that the vehicle is equipped with one of the following radio part numbers:

Important: If the vehicle is not equipped with one of the following radio part numbers, disregard this bulletin.

Update the Navigation Radio's software to correct this condition. This software upgrade will also update some operating characteristics on the Navigation Radio. The following functions or displays may be affected:

Important: Inform the customer that stored destinations and radio presets may not be retained during programming.

• clock font size

• text color on light colored screens

• split screen icon to minimize the "Points of Interest" popup and "Exit" popup

• change driver locked out features when the vehicle is out of "Park"

• "back" button on street address entry screen for entering street number

How to Obtain Nav Software Update Disc (P/N 25956121 -- software version 0B92):
Software discs are available through the GM Nav Disc Center by calling 1-877-NAV-DISC (1-877-628-3472). Dealers should retain the disc for use in repairing future vehicles. DO NOT give the software disc to the customer.

Navigation Software Update Procedure:
Use the following procedure to update the Navigation Radio software using the Nav Software Update Disc P/N 25956121 (software version 0B92):

Important:

• This software update can only be used to update the navigation radios specified in this bulletin. DO NOT use this software to update any other vehicle's navigation radio.

• The Map DVD will be needed to verify the system operation after the software update has been performed. Use the vehicle's existing map DVD.

• It is recommended to wear latex gloves while performing the software update, to avoid fingerprints on the product and discs.

Notice:

• DO NOT stop the engine until all tasks are completed. The software update MUST be performed with the engine RUNNING and the gear position in PARK. If the vehicle is turned off prior to the software update being completed, the process may not work again and a new Navigation Radio may be required.

• The software update requires using the map DVD slot. The update will not work if the update disc is inserted in the top slot (CD or CD/DVD audio slot).

Start the engine, with the gear shifter in PARK -- wait until the audio or caution screen is displayed after the opening screen.
Press the "NAV" hard key.
Press "OK" soft key.
Press the "MENU" hard key.
Press the "NAV" soft key.
Press the "MAP DATABASE INFORMATION" soft key.
Press the "CHANGE" soft key.
The navigation radio automatically ejects the map DVD. Remove the ejected disc.

Load the update disc into the slot located behind the display screen by inserting it partially until the system pulls it in.
Important: DO NOT put the disc in the top slot. DO NOT force the display to close. The display screen will remain in the open position until the update is complete.

The screen "PREPARING TO LOAD SYSTEM SOFTWARE" will be displayed while the update is loading. The update should take approximately 4 minutes.
After the system restarts, press the "EJECT" soft key to eject and remove the software update disc.
Important: Dealers should retain the software update disc for their use.

Load the map DVD into the same slot located behind the display screen, DO NOT put in the top slot.
Press the "CLOSE" soft key.
Press the "OK" soft key.
Important: The clock will not be displayed until it is confirmed by completing step 16.

Turn the engine OFF, open and close the driver's door. Wait for 10 minutes.
Important: Due to the load time of the system, there may be a short delay before the "Map Screen" appears.

Restart the engine. After the map screen is displayed, verify that the clock is visible and touch the map screen to confirm that it can be scrolled. If the clock does not appear, repeat programming.
Important: The GPS location will start out in Washington DC and once learned, will show the correct location of the vehicle. Learning the GPS may take up to 10 minutes, depending on the vehicle's location.

Ensure that the GPS signal has been received and the navigation map shows the correct location for the vehicle.
Verify that the destination search area is properly displayed.
19.1. Press the "DESTINATION" hard key.

19.2. Press "CHANGE SEARCH AREA" soft key.

19.3. Select the correct area for the vehicle's location.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

R9714*
Update Navigation Radio Software
0.4 hr

* This labor operation number is for bulletin use only. This number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

p26963

Reaction score
Are these updates done regularly when one brings their Tahoe into the dealer to get serviced? I want to make sure that my nav unit always has the latest version of the software on it. It sounds like this is something separate than the updated nav disc we order from GM.

xTooltipElement Service Information 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD | Avalanche, Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 2065545

#08-08-44-002: Navigation Radio Clock and/or Clock Tab Do Not Appear or Disappears Intermittently (Update Navigation Radio with N ew Software) - (Feb 15, 2008)

Subject: Navigation Radio Clock and/or Clock Tab Do Not Appear or Disappears Intermittently (Update Navigation Radio with New Software)

Models: 2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

2008 HUMMER H2

with Radio RPO UVB or U3U

Condition
Some customers may comment that the clock and/or the clock tab does not appear on the navigation screen.

Cause
This condition may be caused by a software anomaly, which causes the clock and/or clock tab to disappear during the ignition key cycle.

Correction
DO NOT REPLACE THE NAVIGATION RADIO.

Using the Tech 2®, verify that the vehicle is equipped with one of the following radio part numbers:

Important: If the vehicle is not equipped with one of the following radio part numbers, disregard this bulletin.

Update the Navigation Radio's software to correct this condition. This software upgrade will also update some operating characteristics on the Navigation Radio. The following functions or displays may be affected:

Important: Inform the customer that stored destinations and radio presets may not be retained during programming.

• clock font size

• text color on light colored screens

• split screen icon to minimize the "Points of Interest" popup and "Exit" popup

• change driver locked out features when the vehicle is out of "Park"

• "back" button on street address entry screen for entering street number

How to Obtain Nav Software Update Disc (P/N 25956121 -- software version 0B92):
Software discs are available through the GM Nav Disc Center by calling 1-877-NAV-DISC (1-877-628-3472). Dealers should retain the disc for use in repairing future vehicles. DO NOT give the software disc to the customer.

Navigation Software Update Procedure:
Use the following procedure to update the Navigation Radio software using the Nav Software Update Disc P/N 25956121 (software version 0B92):

Important:

• This software update can only be used to update the navigation radios specified in this bulletin. DO NOT use this software to update any other vehicle's navigation radio.

• The Map DVD will be needed to verify the system operation after the software update has been performed. Use the vehicle's existing map DVD.

• It is recommended to wear latex gloves while performing the software update, to avoid fingerprints on the product and discs.

Notice:

• DO NOT stop the engine until all tasks are completed. The software update MUST be performed with the engine RUNNING and the gear position in PARK. If the vehicle is turned off prior to the software update being completed, the process may not work again and a new Navigation Radio may be required.

• The software update requires using the map DVD slot. The update will not work if the update disc is inserted in the top slot (CD or CD/DVD audio slot).

Start the engine, with the gear shifter in PARK -- wait until the audio or caution screen is displayed after the opening screen.
Press the "NAV" hard key.
Press "OK" soft key.
Press the "NAV" soft key.
Press the "MAP DATABASE INFORMATION" soft key.
Press the "CHANGE" soft key.
The navigation radio automatically ejects the map DVD. Remove the ejected disc.

Load the update disc into the slot located behind the display screen by inserting it partially until the system pulls it in.
Important: DO NOT put the disc in the top slot. DO NOT force the display to close. The display screen will remain in the open position until the update is complete.

The screen "PREPARING TO LOAD SYSTEM SOFTWARE" will be displayed while the update is loading. The update should take approximately 4 minutes.
After the system restarts, press the "EJECT" soft key to eject and remove the software update disc.
Important: Dealers should retain the software update disc for their use.

Load the map DVD into the same slot located behind the display screen, DO NOT put in the top slot.
Press the "CLOSE" soft key.
Press the "OK" soft key.
Important: The clock will not be displayed until it is confirmed by completing step 16.

Turn the engine OFF, open and close the driver's door. Wait for 10 minutes.
Important: Due to the load time of the system, there may be a short delay before the "Map Screen" appears.

Restart the engine. After the map screen is displayed, verify that the clock is visible and touch the map screen to confirm that it can be scrolled. If the clock does not appear, repeat programming.
Important: The GPS location will start out in Washington DC and once learned, will show the correct location of the vehicle. Learning the GPS may take up to 10 minutes, depending on the vehicle's location.

Ensure that the GPS signal has been received and the navigation map shows the correct location for the vehicle.
Verify that the destination search area is properly displayed.
19.1. Press the "DESTINATION" hard key.

19.2. Press "CHANGE SEARCH AREA" soft key.

19.3. Select the correct area for the vehicle's location.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

R9714*
Update Navigation Radio Software
0.4 hr

* This labor operation number is for bulletin use only. This number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool.. has anyone found a way to order an upgrade disc?