escalade mirrors on tahoe or yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timmyjimmy5150

Reaction score
Hey all......
I've PM'd a few people about this and wanted to see if we could get our resources together and see about doing this if a person was interested....

Wanted to see about taking off our stock tahoe or yukon mirrors and swapping them with an Escalade pair. Some of our members have put lower chrome mirror covers (Lund, etc) on their mirrors. I like this look, but want the boot piece chrome too --- hence the escalade mirrors......

I know one of our members -- jamac36 --- successfully put escalade mirrors on his denali. I have a 2007 denali as well and love the look these mirrors add.
I tried to contact jamac36 for info. but never heard back from him.....

The 07 escalades have a few different mirrors....and some of our vehicles will differ because of options.... For example, my 07 denali has the integrated turn-signals; heated glass; fold-in; etc..... Where someone's tahoe may not have all that.

Finally --- Wanted to see how hard it is to remove our stock mirrors and replace them? If taking out the mirrors is a huge project, that a person can't do himself, then I might just scrap it...... I have no idea what is involved... I'm sure you have to take the door panels off, etc.....
Again --- Cost too --- $60+ for Lund, Putco, etc. VS. $$$$ for Escalade mirrors.... but -- I just want to see how to do it and the extent of the involvement..... Obviously it can be done --- look at jamac36 and his denali pics.
Ideas or info.?
TJ

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken the interior trim panels on the doors may have to be removed for access to all the hardware and wire harness. Not a real difficult task, but hard enough where you can break some clips and tabs if you're not careful. Besides the fact that these mirrors are not cheap to begin with, close to 500.00 list price for the R&L. I ordered the lower Putco covers and am awaiting their delivery.

cooltwin

Reaction score
Maybe this is a wild idea but has anyone looked into having a piece fabricated that would go all the way to the car? i know i want the chrome piece that goes to the car as well, but changing out the mirrors is not a great option due to price and difficulty. I am going to check into a few plastic companies this weekend and if i find anything out, i will let you know.

cooltwin

Reaction score
Well i now have worked on trying to find a manufacturer who could make a piece to fit the gap that everybody seems to hate on the mirrors. I talked with SES trims and they were rude as hell! they said they dont make the piece because it doesnt let the mirror fold. That is BS, i checked my mirrors and they will swing by and would not hit.

I contacted a few thermoforming companies about making a piece, but the cost to manufacture the piece is extremely expensive and they require hundreds of pieces. Also they would have to be chrome plated which costs even more.

THERE IS GOOD NEWS!

one of the plastic companies said that ABS plastic can be heated to make it bend. Most of these mirror products are created with this product. Supposedly if you can find a piece of the chrome plated ABS, you could make a piece to fit the gap.

Here is what i think could work. Buy the chrome mirror cover from one of the companies that manufacture them and then buy a matching tailgate cover. You should be able to cut the plastic shape from the tailgate cover to fit the front side and then heat it up to bend it . After looking at the mirror, it looks like it doesnt need bent that much.

I havnt decided whether i am going to do it or not, but it is very tempting. I wish i had a scrap piece of ABS plastic layinng around to try it. It might be worth the chance because it is a lot cheaper and easier than buying escalade mirrors.

If anyone else has info or connections on how to get a piece made, let me know!

cooltwin

Reaction score
so i found a piece of ABS plastic that was right around the corner at an auto design shop. When i got there they had something that looks like it would work even better!!

It is a piece of chrome PVC that is extremely flexible and has auto adhesive all over the back of it. it can be cut and bent very easily. It is from a company called Restylers choice but can only be bought through a business. They have a website but it is bad, not worth the time. I called the compamy and it can be ordered in 4, 6, 8, 10 inch widths and in any length. It is originaly made for rocker panels and has a protective coating on it. I think this is the answer to all the problems. here are some pictures fo the product. I think i will cut up this piece and see what it look like on the car. If i get it done, i will post pictures.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 3

Jimmie48

Reaction score
I have the putco lowers and would love to have a continuation to the car so keep us in the loop...btw I get compliments on my lowers from other tahoe owners...

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering painting the remaining part of the mirror the color of the truck. I know it's grained, but I can play with it to make it smooth and glossy. Just need to slow down a bit so I can find the time to do it.

timmyjimmy5150

Reaction score
I'm waiting to see if cooltwin's install with his fabrication went okay or I'm just going to plunk down the money and get a set of escalade mirrors and install them.....

Jimmie48

Reaction score
With all of the products already offered for our Tahoe/Yukon I am thinking some manufacturer will come out with the secondary piece that will complete the look, for now I am happy with my Putco's from ebay ;)

timmyjimmy5150

Reaction score
Sure would be nice if someone would.... But you'd think one of the manufacturers (Putco, etc) would have already offered it if they had planned to.....?

cooltwin

Reaction score
I cut up the pvc material for a test. It works great!! i have photos attached of the filler piece. I do not have the covers yet to see how it looks with it, but i did take it over to the cadillac dealer and it is a perfect match for the chrome OEM. It is going to be necessary to use the adhesive cleaner before attaching them. I am fairly sure i am going to do this to mine. The photos were at night and it was a quick cut job so it may not be perfect. I was surprised at how easy this was to do. Also i found out the passsenger mirror is longer then the drivers mirror. who would have known?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 15

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude - you ROCK!
ylsuper.gif

Does that material have a name / brand, and how much does one pay for a sheet? (Maybe we need a group buy, or perhaps you've found a niche market!) Also, what's your sense on how well it will stick, and the best way to cut it? It might get tricky to get a nice cut in the smaller areas (like the top of the boot) to match up with the Putco covers...

Last edited:

Jimmie48

Reaction score
how thick is it? Is it the same thickness as the putco cover material? I am very interested in this...please keep us informed of your progress and any tips...

You da man.

ehaser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get the bottom chrome piece for the mirror..It makes the mirrors look just like the escalade.

timmyjimmy5150

Reaction score
The bottom chrome piece only makes the "mirror" look like the escalade..... Cooltwin has devised a solution for all of us who want the "boot" piece chromed --- like the escalade. The escalade is chrome from the window "boot" all the way out.
Cooltwin --- I noticed on the esclades... the boot part is chromed bot front and back --- did you do this to yours or only the front side?
tj

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get the bottom chrome piece for the mirror..It makes the mirrors look just like the escalade.

The bottom chrome piece for the mirror does NOT include a piece to cover the part that cooltwin has covered with this other material. What he's proposing is to use the Putco lower mirror covers WITH this material cut and installed so the mirrors really look like the Escalade mirrors without spending an absurd amount of money. The Esky mirrors are chrome all the way to the boot where the join up to the body.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bottom chrome piece only makes the "mirror" look like the escalade..... Cooltwin has devised a solution for all of us who want the "boot" piece chromed --- like the escalade. The escalade is chrome from the window "boot" all the way out.
Cooltwin --- I noticed on the esclades... the boot part is chromed bot front and back --- did you do this to yours or only the front side?
tj

Heh -- we must've been feverishly typing at the same time... :)

cooltwin

Reaction score
I have gone on ahead and bought the covers for the mirror, they are on their way. After experimenting, it looks like this will work so i am going to go on ahead and give it a try. I am not sure how thick the covers are, but they material is fairly thin. I was able to cut it with a pair of heavy duty scisors. It seems to stick fairly well after using the adhesive prep by 3M, but i think i will use additional tape to make sure it sticks because there is tension. it was also very cold here today and i think tapeing until it sticks will work.

The product is used for rocker panels and the brand is chrome effects. The main company is restylers choice. unfortunately you have to buy the products through a dealer. I was able to get a piece that was a left over scrap for $5. i am going to the dealer to see if i can get more because i want to be able to make it perfect and the scrap i got was small.

I looked at the top of the boot, and it is very small. I think it is doable, but i might do a relief cut so it makes the 90 degree bend easier. Also there is a chrome piece on the backside and i think i would use a second piece since it is verticle.

I will let you know what i find out from the auto shop tomorrow.