Exhaust Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jayce030

Reaction score
Hi All,

No - not another thread about which exhaust to choose, but rather a question about getting the most of the aftermarket exhaust. I went to my muffler guy and he suggested to get the most out of my Magnaflow to consider replacing the cats and pipes all the way to the Y pipe. (3 inche diameter all around) However, with emission being very strict in California, the cat's need to be up to par with the stock cats and higher in terms of emission issues. Cant slap a freeflow cat anymore as I did with my Bronco and Jeeps in the past. These cats costs near 300-400, including all the custom piping he would do labor etc. the cost of the whole custom job would run me around 1300-1500...

Is it worth it to do this job? Or is a catback system sufficient? Please share you opinions.

BTW, i have the 5.3L '07 Tahoe.

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first question to you is......Why are you wanting to do this????? The only way I would justify 1200-1500 dollars for an exhaust would be if I were racing it. Which I doubt you are doing. IMO......total waste of money for what your going to gain. If your doing it for "performance"....then your almost halfway there for a S/C.

Cat back is sufficient IMO.....

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have to agree here with the question as to why?

If you go with free flow you gain HP only at high RPMs and actually loose HP at low RPMs which is where you want your toe to be more efficient.

High flow exhaust is only better for racing and high RPMs. You want the back pressure for low RPM fuel efficiently and low end torque.

Just get a cat back system to make it sound better and a tiny bit better performance and fuel efficiency increase.

:thumbsup:

Jayce030

Reaction score
THanks for all the replies. Outside of the CAI and a chip, what other engine mods are you guys considering?

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There isn't much more you can do to get any noticeable except if you go forced induction. What gears are you running???? You may consider 4:10's if you want a bit more "off the line" umffff.

Jayce030

Reaction score
I got the stock 3.73's... considering the 4.10, but we will see how chipping her out in addition to the exhaust and CAI will turn out. I just want her to be as "quick" as I can get her.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
msd 6200 ignition box helps mpg, starting, and throttle response. i have an accel coil, 8.5mm wires, and ac delco rapidfire plugs that seem to help.

the k&n intake with filter seemed to give the most bang for the buck. the hypertech module i got was easy to install and was noticeable also.

i really need a less restrictive exhaust to get the full benefit of my k&n

granatelli mass air flow sensors supposedly help power and mileadge by giving more accurate timing and fuel/air mixture. i want one but they are $300

i hear u can switch your stock crank driven cooling fan to an electric cooling fan and gain significant horsepower AND gas mileadge.

obviously a supercharger a great way to get more power but with more air means u need more fuel so your mpg is screwed. i saw a great kit from a link on a post here at this forum. said 2 hour install and only had few parts. if i find it i will post here