Remote Start Ready?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OStateFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '07 1LT is not equipped with remote start. I have read in other threads that all Tahoes are 'Remote Start Ready' from the factory. However, my window sticker doesn't say anything about it. Is it 'Ready' or how do I find out? A local dealership quoted, over the phone, $375 to install it. That strikes me as sky-high for some fobs and a reprogram. Opinions?

Brad

uofmz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i really dont know about the remote start ready but as for the price that isnt bad at all. I had a nissan and a new key and fob was almost $400, and if you go aftermarket it will be just as expensive if not more and you will lose your original key fob. i say if you want it - do it! its a great option to have!

OStateFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have it on my Impala and really enjoy it, so it will happen on the Tahoe. I'm just trying to figure out how to go about it, as I prefer the factory option instead of aftermarket.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '07 1LT is not equipped with remote start. I have read in other threads that all Tahoes are 'Remote Start Ready' from the factory. However, my window sticker doesn't say anything about it. Is it 'Ready' or how do I find out? A local dealership quoted, over the phone, $375 to install it. That strikes me as sky-high for some fobs and a reprogram. Opinions?

Brad

375.00 is high. Go to a stereo install facility. Should be around 250.00

Hogie 2

Reaction score
We were in a similar situation (2007 LT1). We added a car starter through the dealership and it was $299, plus they used our key fobs using the "lock" button pressing it 2 times to start/stop the Tahoe. I had also heard the LT1's are remote start ready.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that your Tahoe is remote start ready because it is an option on all Tahoes. :Chevy:

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, did my research on this one because when I bought my '07, I wasn't sure if my model came w/ it or not. Someone @ work had to tell me that the new '07s come standard w/ remote start (I didn't know :confused2: -- not a GM follower -- I usually buy foreign; sorry GM guys :Chevy:, but reliability is very important to me, BUT I've ALWAYS loved the styling/suspension of GM's last gen SUVs/Pickups). So after calling my local Chevy dealer and looking on the Chevy website, I confirmed that all Tahoe models 2LT, 3LT, LTZ, and Hybrid come w/ "vehicle remote start" standard. Both the LS and 1LT come w/ the "vehicle remote start prep package" as an option (pre-cabling/wiring, my best guess). And if the dealer is quoting you to install their OEM remote start @ $375, I'd jump on it! That's not bad. I have a Directed Electronics PYTHON 990 w/ Responder SST remote start/security system on my '04 MAX, and that runs about $600 - 800 installed (depending on what modules you add on). When I asked the Chevy svc rep about putting VIPER or PYTHON (same product basically--like Lincoln and Ford) on the new Tahoe, he strongly advised against it because of all the modules and electrical systems that have to be bypassed during installation. Once an aftermarket installer starts goofing around w/ the electronics and messes something up, the factory warranty is voided. So no aftermarket alarm for my 'Hoe. :cryin: @ least until the warranty runs out or gets close to running out... :D My local pro shop quoted me $800+ just to put a VIPER system in (he did mention all the bypasses). So, to put this all in perspective, $300+ is not THAT bad to have them hook you up w/ remote start...especially, when you look @ the convenience factor. :thumbsup:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would jump on it as well. Remote start is way cool, esp. with inclement winter weather already here or coming very soon for most of us! :thumbsup: Used it yesterday when I took the kids to the park, and we were getting pretty chilly, so I fired her up a few minutes before we were leaving, and the kiddies were all warm and toasty when we got it. The heated seats warmed our tushies very nicely.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
... he strongly advised against it because of all the modules and electrical systems that have to be bypassed during installation. Once an aftermarket installer starts goofing around w/ the electronics and messes something up, the factory warranty is voided. So no aftermarket alarm for my 'Hoe. :cryin: @ least until the warranty runs out or gets close to running out... :

If, and only if, something goes wrong with the vehicle due to an aftermarket product, then the warranty is subject to being voided. But the dealership has to PROVE that the aftermarket part caused the problem. They can not void your warranty just because you decided to have an aftermarket product, such as an alarm, installed rather than GM's own product. The Magnuson-Moss Act is a Federal law that protects consumers against voided warranties due to simply installing aftermarket parts.
Also, the factory anti-theft system can easily be integrated into for remote start operation just like the rest of the electrical system, basically the same way GM does it. There are modules that don't bypass anything. They are flashed to integrate with the vehicle's BCM ,PCM, ECM, etc. via the vehicle's communication system (Class !!, LAN, CAN). Dealerships like to tell these things to customers so that they get the business, and also the fact that when a vehicle comes in for service, their technicians aren't trained to diagnose how aftermarket products affect factory systems.
DEI's new RS sytems with their newly DSM integrated transceivers operate up to a 1 mile range, and can be integrated to do everything the factory system can do, and lots more, including turning on heated seats, memory seat and pedal positions for different drivers, defrost, and more. PLus it's a 2-way system, so the module let's you know what's going on with your vehicle.
Sorry to rant on, but I've dealt with dealerships for 15 years and know how they operate. I've even used to work for one of the Big 3's warranty repair facility. I hate how most (not all) dealerships mislead consumers when it comes to aftermarket accessories and warranties. And the first thing most techs do when they see anything aftermarket is stop right where they are and blame the problem on the installation of the aftermarket part.

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would jump on it as well. Remote start is way cool, esp. with inclement winter weather already here or coming very soon for most of us! :thumbsup: Used it yesterday when I took the kids to the park, and we were getting pretty chilly, so I fired her up a few minutes before we were leaving, and the kiddies were all warm and toasty when we got it. The heated seats warmed our tushies very nicely.

That would be the only reason I'd get it for winter hee hee.. :D :clapping:

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my remote start feature. :clapping: summers here in AZ the temp. reaches above 110 and the inside of the vehicle is about 170-210 degrees :mad2:. I usaully start it a few minutes before taking off . :clapping: :clapping:

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody successfully purchased a Tahoe with the "Remote Start Prep Package" and had a GM dealer install the Remote Starter (AP3)? If so, how much did it cost total and how did you get your dealer to do it. I tried to get my dealer to do it after purchasing my Tahoe, and after two weeks they finally said they can't do it there...are they incompetent, or is this normal?

drmason1

Reaction score
I have an early 2007 Tahoe LT1. It was Remote Started Ready when purchased. I had the dealer install the Chevy/GM remote starter.....about $300 and that included new Key fobs. If is well worth the cost.

LaredoTexas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so how do you know if your tahoe is report start ready? where do you look for a confirmation?

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oops double post.

Last edited:

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From another site...

New 2007 Tahoe LS and 1LT models come equipped with RPO AP8 which is a "Remote Starter Prep Package". If you wish to add Remote Start (AP3) to these vehicles you will need to purchase a Kit GM part #19154444

This kit comes with two remote start keyless fobs and also instructions and a code, this code along with the VIN for the vehicle it is to be installed on must be called into GM TechLink Center and they will convert this over to a new VCI code that will then become available for the installing dealer to download and reprogram your BCM with.

A dealer will have to do the install and you cannot just purchase the remotes and get the dealer to unlock the remote start function in your vehicle as they cannot do it without GM's assistance and the only way GM will give the dealer the new VCI is if they have the secret code that comes in the kit.

The kit (GM part #19154444) costs about $200 including installation.

The above part # is for those w/o power liftgate. #19154445 is for those w/ power liftgate

brodg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you feel comftorable pming me your vin number i can run a gm viss and email you a printout of the vehicles build.

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, the factory anti-theft system can easily be integrated into for remote start operation just like the rest of the electrical system, basically the same way GM does it. There are modules that don't bypass anything. They are flashed to integrate with the vehicle's BCM ,PCM, ECM, etc. via the vehicle's communication system (Class !!, LAN, CAN). Dealerships like to tell these things to customers so that they get the business, and also the fact that when a vehicle comes in for service, their technicians aren't trained to diagnose how aftermarket products affect factory systems.
DEI's new RS sytems with their newly DSM integrated transceivers operate up to a 1 mile range, and can be integrated to do everything the factory system can do, and lots more, including turning on heated seats, memory seat and pedal positions for different drivers, defrost, and more. PLus it's a 2-way system, so the module let's you know what's going on with your vehicle.

I would absolutely LOVE to put a VIPER security system on my '07 Hoe! Are you saying that it can be done as long as the person installing it knows what they're doing? Like I said, the guy @ my local pro shop quoted me $800 for installing VIPER...is this a reasonable quote? And can it be done w/o messing any of the electrical systems in the Hoe? Thanks for the input! :thumbsup:

OStateFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so how do you know if your tahoe is report start ready? where do you look for a confirmation?

Look inside the glovebox, there should be a sticker that lists the RPO codes for the vehicle. Look for AP8, it's the code for 'Remote Start Ready.'