Who tows with thier 'Hoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newmarketEOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a 1998 Tahoe 4 door and am going to be towing with it and want to see who else tows with theirs. I don't want to hear about how you tow your lawn tractor though, I mean really tow.

I will be towing a car trailer loaded with my rock crawler (Jeep weighing around 4000 lbs) and want to hear some people with experience towing with a Hoe

96 ho

Reaction score
I've pulled a horse trailer with my 1996. If you are pulling 5000+ pounds you will get pushed around a lot on the highway. If you are set on using your Tahoe as a tow vehicle I would recommend installing some stiffer suspension components and making sure your brakes are solid.

Stlrboo

Reaction score
Towed my kids' Honda back from New York on a two wheel car carrier this past fall.. Towed an 8 ft U-Haul from Pittsburgh to DC loaded with furniture with no problem, as well.. Stock 99 Tahoe, 2 door LS! :eek:

If only I could get the darn thing to stay running in the winter/humid weather, I'd be 'good to go'..! :eek:

5LZEATR

Reaction score
I've towed my 20' boat this past summer with no issues. I would "guesstimate" the boat and trailer weigh 4-5k lbs. It is a bowrider boat with V8 power so its kinda heavy. An average round trip of 50 miles to the lake many times over the summer. I also hauled my buddys rock crawler jeep on a 16' tandem axle trailer once with no problems. With the stock brakes you definitely dont want to tailgate the guy in front of you. Just allow yourself plenty of time to stop because you do get "pushed" a bit.

Tainui

Reaction score
Tow my 30ft Pursuit Denali 10 miles to the marina and back 2x year. 2009 Denali XL. The boat trailer together.......fully loaded and gassed up its about 13,000lbs. Yes, its overloaded but I'm never over 40mph and even up the hill the truck is a monster.

olpir8

Reaction score
I have been towing a 24' Grady White boat for the past 5 years with my 1999 'Hoe'.
Boat, Trailer and 150 gallons of gas come to approximately 7,500 lbs..

lpg975

Reaction score
I tow a 5x8 trailer full of band equipment. I don't know how much it weighs loaded down, but it's probably not much.

AustinTahoe

Reaction score
Tahoe Towing

On my 1999 Tahoe LT 4x4, I regularly tow my 19' Champion Bass boat with 175 HP Yamaha. Total trailer weight is 4,100 lbs. I've been towing that set up since Tahoe delivered to me new in Oct, 1999. Just turned 172,000 miles. Main thing is to keep good brakes, especially good if you have trailer brakes. Your trailer configuration will have a lot to do with stability and control. Tandem axle trailer keeps the sway down.

96350tahoe

Reaction score
Ohh boy. I have a 96 tahoe with 350, K&N, and flowmasters. My Dads 06 ford F-350 drw and utility bed (9,000lbs all together) engine blew and my hoe pulled it like a charm. It was even when the fuel pump was going out so it was really lagging power.

Rdly99

Reaction score
My Tahoe
The Regal is 4,950lbs

Attachments

• Kearney Park 4 16 001.jpg
    Kearney Park 4 16 001.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 17

Red_Hill

Reaction score
I tow a 5K boat with no problems. I have a 99 diesel powered F250 that I prefer for distances but the Tahoe is great around town.

jeffr0wland

Reaction score
I tow a 24' enclosed trailer full with quads and equipment for our races series at least once a month.

MrSmooth1031

Reaction score
I use to tow a 34' travel trailer with my '97 Hoe.. I added air shocks to the rear to keep her level, trailer brake controls, upgraded transmission designed for towing and hauling, upgraded torque convertor for towing, performance transmission cooler, and a 180 degree thermostat for the engine.. As for the brakes on a 95-99 Tahoe, they will always be a little soft unless you upgrade them.. I put in a HD brake master cylinder, ceramic front pads, HD rear drums, and HD rear shoes. With or without a trailer the brake upgrade alone was a great improvement. You can also add drilled and slotted rotors on the front if you want even more stop power. Some people talk of converting the rear drum to disc but the price is steep and some of the kits are not so good, others are very good. I never went that far because I found a place to park the trailer and it does not move that often anymore. When it was on the road, it was going from Memphis, TN area to different area's of Florida.

86mk7

Reaction score
We towed a 6x12 uhaul enclosed trailer full from top to bottom and front to back from Omaha nebraska upto kenosha Wisconsin then over to lititz pa with no problems beside the pos trailer uhaul gave us had bent axles.

Shaggy

Admin
Administrator
Reaction score
That must have been a fun ride with the shaking. Did it?

86mk7

Reaction score
That pos trailer was all over the rode. My fiance drove that while I had a 24 foot uhaul with a full car trailer with my car on it. A few times I had to run up along side her just in case she lost it. I'd rather pay for damages on the truck then have her go down some of the huge hills we were on. It was a handful for her but she did it like a pro. The truck pulls awesome. Just the garbage trailer. Lol

dz2a8r

Reaction score
Towed my kids' Honda back from New York on a two wheel car carrier this past fall.. Towed an 8 ft U-Haul from Pittsburgh to DC loaded with furniture with no problem, as well.. Stock 99 Tahoe, 2 door LS! :eek:

If only I could get the darn thing to stay running in the winter/humid weather, I'd be 'good to go'..! :eek:

just fixed one with the same issure you have apparently...is been hot and humid as can be here for about a month....had a 97 that runs good all year round except for july aug and sept. owner said its done it the past few years, long story short it turned out to be the fuel pump....only ran like butt and wouldnt stay running during the hottest few months of the year..runs like a top now

volfan1

Reaction score
I pull a 26' toy hauler 5800lbs dry weight, probably 7000lbs loaded. I added two rough country short leaf springs from JC Whitney to keep the back end from squating so much. That did the trick! Pulls great!!

pennery

Reaction score
IMG_1143.jpg

About 6500lbs loaded. Tows Fine...