Disabling DRL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there successfully disable their DRL?

The simplest way is to pull fuse #15 on the IP, but that will disable my factory fogs as well (on Denali)... I also tried pulling the black finned DRL box under the IP near the right side of the steering column... and this disabled the DRL as well as my headlights. Pulling the DRL relay (convenience center) also disables the headlights.

Any other ideas?

Whippled2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine stopped working randomly 4 or so years ago. But then a couple of months ago out of the blue they started working again so I just yanked the DRL/FOG fuse.

I'll see if I can find a schematic in the service manuals I have to try to disable them without taking out the fogs.

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pushing the parking brake in a few clicks or adjusting/jumping the switch on the parking brake so it is always engaged should disable the DRLs.

So now the DRLs are off but the light on the dash that says the parking brake is pressed is always on.

I was able to pull the fuse since I didn't have factory fogs.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to plan toward pulling the #15 fuse (kill DRL + fog) and then rewire the fogs, so they turn on independently.

I tried this approach too:

http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html#GMspec

but it also took out my headlights... doh!
I have about 3 different GM wiring schematics for our trucks... but they are all slightly different, and tend to skip over module information (headlamp modules, drl modules, etc).
Gm's manuals are pretty frustrating.. kinda like a bunch of clues.. but no 'solid' info.

Whippled2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the finned thing you disconnected was the DRL Diode but by disconnecting that thing it should have done the job.

This schematic is for "without" the option Luxury (Denali/Escalade). I have a different one for luxury in my book which has a different orientation for the DRL relay.

I can scan it if you don't already have it. Let me know.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Whipple... It turns out I was looking at a schematic that had the DRL relay diagrammed differntly (PPL wire normally on w/ yellow wire from DRL diode) which made no sense to me. The page you put up makes sense.

I also traced back some more schematics that seems to point to a faulty DRL module.
I'm going to try unpluggin that and see what happens.

Thanks for the pics... I hope this is it~

Whippled2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Whipple... It turns out I was looking at a schematic that had the DRL relay diagrammed differntly (PPL wire normally on w/ yellow wire from DRL diode) which made no sense to me.

I have that schematic too but it doesn't make any sense the way they have it.

What part number do you have for the DRL relay? Mine is 12077866 and it also says OMRON and 7866 on it.

Whippled2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might have a solution for you. If you have the same DRL relay as me (part# 12077866), bend pin 87 as pictured below and re-insert the relay. On my brother's 96 tahoe (because my DRL don't work anymore, they have a mind of their own) when I did this, the DRL don't work anymore (DRL fuse still plugged in) but the headlight still work. This is worth a try to see if your fogs still work using this method.

Pics:
IMG_0007-1.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010-1.jpg

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Genious! Why didn't I think of that?! I was starting to think of messing w/ the wiring that goes to the relay... but your way is much better, and less intrusive.

That relay part# looks familiar... What sucks is that relay is listed at $50 from the stealership. Replaced mine at $30... only to find out the relay wasnt the problem.
I'll give the old relay the bendo and see if that works... I'm sure it will.

In the picture, you bent #87, but in my case I think I'll bend 85 or 86. It seems like one of those that have a bad connection and 'sizzle' the relay (on/off rapidly). This brings one of the culprits to be the DRL Module. (if the dash lights turn off, and I rotate the light switch to parking lights, then everythign is on and fine, but if I rotate it to headlights on, then the relay will 'sizzle' along w/ the DRL indicator light on the meter panel and the headlights too!)

I think I'll also try unplugging the DRL module just to see what happens (once I can identify it... the pictures in the manual sucks) Do you happen to know what the DRL module looks like?

I'm gonna go hooping for some lobster tonight, but I'll try these out soon after.