power lift gate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steven johnson

Reaction score
I have a 2008 tahoe, with a power lift gate. When it's cold outside the power lift gate will not open? ( Dealer looking for updates) HAS anyone out there have this problem.

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have also encountered this, but only 2-3 times. it will eventually open, but it may take a couple tries.

metro273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably because the liftgate is "sticking" to the rubber door molding that's cold. Just put like a silicone spray to the rubber, that should take care of it...good luck...:thumbsup:

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happened to me 2-3 times up in Vermont on our trip a few days ago. In temps 3-15*.

I definitely do not think it is sticking to the rubber gasket. When you try to open the lift gate, either by remote or by handle, it does not even begin the "warning" chimes.

I noticed that the truck was hard to start during these episodes. Nothing major but you could tell while starting that it sounded a little "off" or "slower" than normal.

I think it has more to do with the battery and the cold temps.

steven johnson

Reaction score
Chevy dealer found a service Document # 1995519
#PIT3845C: Power Liftgate Inoperative in Cold Weather = will not work when temperature is below -14 C (6.8 F). Dealer check for updated software.

john hanson

Reaction score
#PIT3845C: Power Liftgate Inoperative in Cold Weather = will not work when temperature is below -14 C (6.8 F). Dealer check for updated software.

see my previous post.....i have a 2008 yukon and power liftgate is inoperative when cold.....other wise ok????

thanks for any help

Rich2007Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Seems about right - when we had those two days of -20 and -24 degrees mine didn't work either. Checked last few days now that we are above 0 and it works fine now.

wrenejr

Reaction score
Hey Rich

An unrelated question for you. DO you have front and rear mud flaps on your Z71. I cannot find a match for the front of my Z71 in the GM cataloge.

john hanson

Reaction score
I have a 2008 tahoe, with a power lift gate. When it's cold outside the power lift gate will not open? ( Dealer looking for updates) HAS anyone out there have this problem.
[LIS

1. well after numerous calls and searching my network of auto friends......i talked with gmc service dept manager in mich.....who did a little research for me and found out that early models had the problem of below 6 dgrees the rear lift gate may not open electricaly....it will open manualy...but not electricaly......

the repair sounds simple enough the computer software in the car must be reset to later version......so all will work my contact says about 1hr repair at the dealer............i will be going in soon to see if he is right good luck to all

Rich2007Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Rich

An unrelated question for you. DO you have front and rear mud flaps on your Z71. I cannot find a match for the front of my Z71 in the GM cataloge.

Best bet is to contact Premier Motoring.com on their website or at 888-827-7110. They sell the Husky's that are special for the 07+ Z71s. Actually I have a GM set on the rear and the Husky's on the front with a matching rear set waiting to swap out in the spring. When I got them (11/07) were $30/pair. Good Luck.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could move to California. We don't have that problem out here. God, I hate a smart ass!

Kellcut

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum. I have this problem, and am not sure I understand. Should the dealer have a fix for this? We live in MN and it's cold and that's when I want it to work the most!

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Did you see post #5? Also the gas springs/struts don't have as much boost when the temp. drops.

Kellcut

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Did you see post #5? Also the gas springs/struts don't have as much boost when the temp. drops.

I did see #5, just wanted to clarify that there is an update that fixes it. Yesterday it was 1 degree F, and when it is cold like there, there is nothing that happens. THe chimes don't ring, nothing. I can open it manually, but dang, when it is that cold I want the truck to do it for me so I don't have to :)

Thanks for the reply.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd take that number to the dealer and see if that fixes it. Ultimate fix is move south of the Mason-Dixon line. ;)

dcfjef

Reaction score
We have a 2007 Yukon Denali that was doing this same thing this winter. Now it will not open at all with any of the buttons. Is there a fuse for this or would I need to replace the actuator?

dcfjef

Reaction score
Yes, I can open it manually. When I squeeze the handle, it sounds as though it is attempting to open, but then just latches the liftgate again. One thing I had not tried until tonight, after reading other forums, is the button inside the cabin. That button does open the hatch when I press it. I haven't tried the key fob , we have an aftermarket remote starter.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do know that the overhead console button can also lock the hatch if you depress the front half of it?