Question about Navigation and Rear Ent Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomm

Reaction score
I am getting ready to buy a new Tahoe. Unlike my navigator I see that the DVD is inserted in the front head unit verse on the rear screen. My question is where is the DVD for navigation inserted? Is it the same slot which would mean that you cant watch a movie and use navigation at the same time?

derrickgh

Reaction score
The DVD for the navigation is actually inserted under the face of the screen. There is an option in the menu that folds the screen down and you would insert the navigation DVD there.

tomm

Reaction score
Yes, But is that the same slot that I would insert for the rear dvd player? Or are there 2 DVD slots?

derrickgh

Reaction score
No, it is a separate slot. The Navi slot is just for the Nav DVD. The DVD player and CD player share the same slot.

tomm

Reaction score
No, it is a separate slot. The Navi slot is just for the Nav DVD. The DVD player and CD player share the same slot.

Great thanks.. I am going to pick it up tonight and just wanted to be sure.

LTZJoe

Reaction score
This is one of my PEEVES that I registered in the "List your Tahoe Peeves here" post.

To have the children watch a DVD, I have to forego the pleasure of listening to a CD - it's either my wants, or their needs!

In the wife's FX45, the CD slot is up front, and the DVD slot is in back...sounds so logical, yet.....?

Rich2007Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my 07 Z71, I have two slots - one for CDs and one for DVDs. I know this for sure because the CDs would not play in the CD player at first - had to have the dealer replace the stereo so now both work. I don't have NAV so I cannot comment on that. Also, I have not tried to play CD and DVD at same time.

LTZJoe

Reaction score
Rich, I have the NAV package...so my second slot (hidden behind the tilting display) is for the NAV CD (or DVD, whatever!).

The only other (exposed) slot is for EITHER CD (as in music) OR DVD (as in rear seat entertainment). This means I CANNOT listen to music from a CD, while my kids watch a movie in back. They have the wireless headphones, so I can listen to AM, FM, or XM while they watch their movie OR I can listen to the movie, BUT I can't listen to my CD while they are watching a movie - it's the same slot.

As I said before, in my wife's car, the CD goes in the front and the movie goes in the back. With wireless headphones in there as well, I am free to choose from any audio output (including their movie), simultaneously, while they watch their movie. Sounds like a no-brainer to me. All I know is that in a truck this big, it couldn't possibly have been a 'space' issue.

But I still love 'er!!!

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife's 04 Tahoe has the RSE and the DVD goes into the player. However the player is about 1" thicker (hangs down farther).

Get yourself a MP3 player and plug it into the Aux jack. Lot easier than dealing with a bunch of CDs IMO.

hphansen

Reaction score
I agree with 73 shark.. Use the MP3 option. Who wants to carry around a bunch of heavy CD's that you have to take in and out a bunch of times. Also I like that the DVD is in the front because most Navi-DVD units don't allow you to watch the movie on the front screen as well. Plus the fact that the DVD player is low profile is great, my parents have an 03 Denali and there rear DVD player is huge.

p26963

Reaction score
Or get the GM DVD headrests. Then the rear passengers each can watch thier own movie and you can play the CD in front.