Remote start problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mgyver1

Reaction score
Well my remote start doesn't work sometimes. It seems to happen more often when it's cold but today it did it in the middle of the day after the truck had been sitting for about 30min.

What happens is the truck will start and then die. After it dies it will not restart at all. It will blink the parking lights but not do a thing. I've taken it to the dealer but unless they can re-create the problem they say there's nothing they can do. The problem is it's real sporatic so I don't know if when I bring it to them it will do it. I don't want to sit all day at the dealer while they try the remote start every hour. Has anyone else had this problem before? I recorded it on video, but they said unless it actually happens with them they can't do anything and it's not throwing a CEL.

DownTownDru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my remote start doesn't work sometimes. It seems to happen more often when it's cold but today it did it in the middle of the day after the truck had been sitting for about 30min.

What happens is the truck will start and then die. After it dies it will not restart at all. It will blink the parking lights but not do a thing. I've taken it to the dealer but unless they can re-create the problem they say there's nothing they can do. The problem is it's real sporatic so I don't know if when I bring it to them it will do it. I don't want to sit all day at the dealer while they try the remote start every hour. Has anyone else had this problem before? I recorded it on video, but they said unless it actually happens with them they can't do anything and it's not throwing a CEL.

Exact same problem here on my 07 Hoe. Happens maybe once in 15 to 20 remote start attempts.

A J

destro77

Reaction score
same hear

Happens in my 07 LT not enough to complain about i guesss since its not winter yet.

mgyver1

Reaction score
Yeah dealer gave it back and of course could not recreate problem. Yet when I got home it happened again! They wrote on the service writeup "It is possible customer does not know how to operate remote start properly and should refer to their owner's manual, section 2." I looked at the service advisor and said, "seriously?" My gosh if that was the problem I would've called Bolndestar. :crazy:

sarahw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How insulting. I can't believe they would actually write that on your service receipt. Besides which, if they think you don't know how to operate it why wouldn't they just demonstrate for you? I'd be pissed. :D

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean like you don't know how to push a little button correctly? Sheesh, that is insulting.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this might sound stupid but it’s cheap and worth a try. It solved several problems for me.

Try blowing some compressed air in the ignition switch. Depending on whether you have an aftermarket starter (not sure how the factory ones work) but the aftermarkets place a small ring around the ignition switch that feeds the correct chip signal to bypass the factory security. After pocket lint, dust, and all kinds of other crap gets shoved into that switch everyday it messes up the ohm transfer.

:thumbsup: It’s worth a try.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, dont you know that after you start it and it runs for 10 min, You can restart it ONLY ONCE, then you MUST restart it with the key, or the remote start will not work again. Sounds like its not even giving you your second chance though.

mgyver1

Reaction score
Guys, dont you know that after you start it and it runs for 10 min, You can restart it ONLY ONCE, then you MUST restart it with the key, or the remote start will not work again. Sounds like its not even giving you your second chance though.

Nope, it's not giving a second chance. It will start and stall out and will not start again. This is factory remote start that came on the vehicle which is brand new, it's not even registered yet.

DownTownDru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, it's not giving a second chance. It will start and stall out and will not start again. This is factory remote start that came on the vehicle which is brand new, it's not even registered yet.

I am having this same problem and have noticed that it is getting worse. I am failing on about 1/3 of remote start attempts now. Argghhh.

A J

PaulC

Reaction score
My remote start was dealer-installed (but the factory unit) and I have had this problem from time to time (maybe 5% of the starting attempts).

wmgood64

Reaction score
factory remote suck i have a 08 lt 3 with it backed in the garage facing the houseand the garage door open it works sometimes! Garage is 60 foot from the house!! just had an astrostart Model RSS-5224 installed wow

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '08 Yukon Denali has done this a few times. I'll do the remote start sequence and it won't start. I'll try again and it'll just flash the parking lights. Quite odd.

GHR2

Reaction score
My 2007 Yukon did the exact same thing last winter. It was very cold outside, the Yukon spent the night in the driveway. I tried to remote start it in the morning. It started and ran for less than 5 seconds, then turned itself off. I tried to remote start a second time - it would not crank - only the parking lights would flash as if it were going through the start sequence, but it would not even try to start.

This happened in two different instances on different cold mornings. The second time, when I went out to start it with the key, I noticed the two front doors were not locked.

Now I remembered that I had (and still have) an intermittent problem with the door locks. At times, the two front doors won't respond to any lock or unlock commands - not with the remote, not the lock/unlock buttons inside the vehicle, not the auto-lock when I place the vehicle in gear. All the other doors lock and unlock as they should, just not the two front doors. This happens at random, and the only way to "fix" it is to turn off the vehicle, exit it, shut the door, and wait for about 15 seconds. After that, the vehicle comes to its senses, and then the door locks work properly until the next time. I have read in some TSBs that this allows some circuits to go to sleep, and that seems to reset them.

Back to the remote start problem. I remembered that to remote start the vehicle, you have to hit the "lock" button on the remote first, then hit the start button. I'm thinking that my problem with the two front doors not locking may have caused the logic in the remote start circuit to sense the doors were not locked, and shut off the engine after the short 5 second run.

The problem with the remote start only happened those two times last winter. The remote start has worked every time since then. But I still have other times the front doors lose their mind and ignore lock/unlock commands. It's random, so I haven't bothered to take it to the dealer. Maybe someday the faulty circuit will fail, and I can take it in (out of warranty) and pay to have it fixed.

lawrencesor

Reaction score
This happens to me also, on my 07, I figure you have to hold the remote start button until the truck is running so hold it for at least 15 sec. I've done is many instances where I just hold it till the truck turned over then I let go of the button and it shut off the truck and I had the blinking lights like you and it won't start again, I've never had a problem when I hold it for at least 15 sec. So I never brought it to the dealer, try it this way for the next 15-20 remote start ups and lmk how it turns out, GL

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though the dealer might not find the problem, you still want to get it on record while it's still in warranty so when it finally fails out of warranty, you can get it fixed.

Once the remote start fails, it won't remote start until a regular start has been performed.

3shotsofblack

Reaction score
just incase not trying to be an ass at all but do you know that the romote start on stock GM's runs for 10 mins at a time and, 2 times in a row after that you have to get in the truck and put the key in and start it then kill it and it will work again

3shotsofblack

Reaction score
the reason this is happening in the winter is yoru tryign to start it more then 2 times because its so cold btu if you run out put your key in start it then run back inside it will work again 2 more times

Mighty Hd

Reaction score
Has anyone gotten a solution to this yet? My 08 Z71 just started doing this last week.

I know the remote start sequence. I'm not an idiot.

The vehicle can sit all day in the parking lot @ work, once I get a visual on the Tahoe I will remote start it. It will start up, then shut off within 2-3 seconds. It won't restart until the key is inserted and do a full-normal start.

??

DownTownDru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 07 Tahoe was doing this all the time. Someone on here who had the same problem suggested holding down the start button for like 10 seconds instead of a few and that has worked for me so far too...