5" Rear Spring Drop Guys..Is your ride Bouncy??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lowboy44

Reaction score
Now I've built a ton of rides over the past 15 years and my Tahoe with 5" rear springs rides really bouncy.I would compare the ride to cut coil springs. It's so weird. I bought the truck with the kit and just installed them. My first question is what color are the rear coils?? Mine are blue. I've never seen blue coils from DJM,I thought they always used the silver hammertone finish. I have removed the bump stomp and completed the free space mod or removal of the bump stop mount.

Any help would be greatly appreciated:yesnod:

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get some burlier shocks or air bag helpers, I've heard they ride nicer with teh bags. Not sure why your's rides poorly, I still haven't chopped my stock bumpstop bracket and it rides fine with belltech springs.

Lowboy44

Reaction score
Get some burlier shocks or air bag helpers, I've heard they ride nicer with teh bags. Not sure why your's rides poorly, I still haven't chopped my stock bumpstop bracket and it rides fine with belltech springs.

Yeah I think the shocks will help. I'm going to order the DJM shocks that go with the kit. You have Belltech springs that are 3" drop? right? I didn't think they made a 5" drop spring. If they did I would have ordered them. They are always my first choice.
Thanks

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
If you're still using the stock shocks, I'd look into swapping them for a new set made for lowered trucks or shorter shocks. The stock shocks are too long and aren't able to compress and rebound properly if compressed to much, such as when lowering. I dropped mine 5" and was using shock extension brackets with my stock shocks for a little while then replaced the shocks with Toxic Drop shocks. Much smoother ride.

Last edited:

Lowboy44

Reaction score
If you're still using the stock shocks, I'd look into swapping them for a new set made for lowered trucks or shorter shocks. The stock shocks are too long and aren't able to compress and rebound properly if compressed to much, such as when lowering. O dropped mine 5" and was using shock extension brackets with my stock shocks for a little while then replaced the shocks with Toxic Drop shocks. Much smoother ride.

If you seen in my first post I've been doing this for many many years. I'm currently running Air Ride Tech shocks because the truck was bagged before. I going to order the DJM shocks for the kit. Mty question is are your 5" DJM springs blue powdercoat??
Thanks Bro

Lowboy44

Reaction score
If you seen in my first post I've been doing this for many many years. I'm currently running Air Ride Tech shocks because the truck was bagged before. I going to order the DJM shocks for the kit. Mty question is are your 5" DJM springs blue powdercoat??
Thanks Bro

In the past I had built a '99 Denali that was a 3-4 Belltech with 22's that rode great. Just before I bought this Tahoe I had a '95 Tahoe that had a 3-4 with 22's that also rode nice.
This '01 with the 5" spring rides really bouncy.
Thanks for your help

DenaliAnyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to DJM website, the blue 5" rear coils are heavy duty and the other finish is standard. The heavy duty coils may be given you the problem.

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to DJM website, the blue 5" rear coils are heavy duty and the other finish is standard. The heavy duty coils may be given you the problem.

Based on this information, it does sound like you need some more firmly valved shocks for the rear. Otherwise you can go to a lower rate spring.

Lowboy44

Reaction score

That must be the problem. The truck is sooo stiff. It's like driving a pogo stick.
The wife and kids didn't like the ride at all.
Looks like I will be ordering the lighter duty springs and correct shocks on Monday.

Thanks

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are setup for a constant heavy load and have way too high a spring rate for an empty truck, toss a couple hundred pounds of stereo equipment in the back and it'll ride better...or just buy the standard springs.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Thanks Bro
I read your first post. And I read it again. You did not mention you had Air Ride Tech shocks nor any other replacement shocks and you asked for help, which is why I was throwing the idea your way. But now that I know you have a good set of shocks on your ride, I would suggest what has already been proposed about going with lower rate springs. And to answer your specific question; no, my springs are not blue.
Anyway, hope you get the right set and get her going. Let us know if the new springs took care of the problem.

Last edited:

Lowboy44

Reaction score
I read your first post. And I read it again. You did not mention you had Air Ride Tech shocks nor any other replacement shocks and you asked for help, which is why I was throwing the idea your way. But now that I know you have a good set of shocks on your ride, I would suggest what has already been proposed about going with lower rate springs. And to answer your specific question; no, my springs are not blue.
Anyway, hope you get the right set and get her going. Let us know if the new springs took care of the problem.

It seems that another member here helped uncover the problem. I have the blue DJM springs which are the Heavy Duty springs for an Avalanche. I need the softer 5" springs for the Tahoe. I'm not real crazy about the Airride shocks,I think they are pretty light duty because I think most of the dampening comes from the airbag. I think once I get the right springs and add the the DJM shocks, I think it will ride like a Cadillac.

I appreciate your help and hope to have an update soon about a smoother ride.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Definitely makes sense. Should ride much better with the softer set.
Side note: You mentioned you were going to get a set of DJM shocks. I haven't had any experience with the DJM shocks myself, but I've read a lot of bad reviews from people who have used them. Just thought I'd give ya a heads up bro.

Lowboy44

Reaction score
Definitely makes sense. Should ride much better with the softer set.
Side note: You mentioned you were going to get a set of DJM shocks. I haven't had any experience with the DJM shocks myself, but I've read a lot of bad reviews from people who have used them. Just thought I'd give ya a heads up bro.

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't used them in the past either. I've always used BellTech shocks.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the blue springs in the rear also on my 06 yukon. After some issues with the company sending me the incorrect shocks, finnaly got the correct shocks that djm recomends and rides better. Also not sure if you put the sway bar end links on from the kit that djm recomends, but if you did and did not re-loacte the mounting points, the sway bar will hit the panhard bar and will cause a very bad ride. Relized this after i put the springs in and drove it. Put the stock links back on and lot better.My wife also was complaining about the ride, but now since the new shocks, she dont mind to much. This is the first truck that i've owned and that i lowered, so dont have much to compare to. If you do order the shocks, call djm and let them tell you which ones to get and dont rely on the company which you are buying from.

Turbizzy

Reaction score
I've gotta agree with Matt14, did you install the DJM rear sway bar links? If so, did you slide the sway bar over and drill that extra hole for the new mounts? If not, this is whats causing your bouncy ride, the panhard bar is hittin on the sway bar. Just do like we did on Matt's truck and put the stock sway bar links back on and see the difference. Im almost positive your shocks or springs have nothing to do with it.

Lowboy44

Reaction score
I've gotta agree with Matt14, did you install the DJM rear sway bar links? If so, did you slide the sway bar over and drill that extra hole for the new mounts? If not, this is whats causing your bouncy ride, the panhard bar is hittin on the sway bar. Just do like we did on Matt's truck and put the stock sway bar links back on and see the difference. Im almost positive your shocks or springs have nothing to do with it.

That was it. I contacted DJM today and that was also there guess on what was wrong. I didn't have the directions the first time around and I wanted to keep the sway bar centered under the rear as you should normally do. Who would have that the the 1" the swaty bar moved to the right would have made all of the difference. I still went ahead and ordered the correct DJM shocks for the kit.

Thanks Guys:D

hdhomer

Reaction score
I have the blue springs in the rear also on my 06 yukon. After some issues with the company sending me the incorrect shocks, finnaly got the correct shocks that djm recomends and rides better. Also not sure if you put the sway bar end links on from the kit that djm recomends, but if you did and did not re-loacte the mounting points, the sway bar will hit the panhard bar and will cause a very bad ride. Relized this after i put the springs in and drove it. Put the stock links back on and lot better.My wife also was complaining about the ride, but now since the new shocks, she dont mind to much. This is the first truck that i've owned and that i lowered, so dont have much to compare to. If you do order the shocks, call djm and let them tell you which ones to get and dont rely on the company which you are buying from.
Your running the stock links relocated? I ask because I keep breaking the aftermarket links. Maybe I should try the stock links. Will that work?
Thanks,

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Your running the stock links relocated? I ask because I keep breaking the aftermarket links. Maybe I should try the stock links. Will that work?
Thanks,
I've had the stock links on my ride since I lowered it a couple years ago. I've been running with the rear dropped just a little over 5" and my sway bar doesn't even come close to hitting the panhard bar. I haven't had any problems at all with the stock links.

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
My ride was bouncy at first when I did the 3/5 drop, but then I cut and removed the rear bumpstop brackets because there wasn't enough travel between the axle and frame. The axle was hitting the bumpstops making the ride bouncy. I remounted the bumpstops with the brackets out of the way and the ride is MUCH better.