1999 Tahoe having trouble starting when warm...help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m1009

Reaction score
I accidentally posted this same problem on the 2007 + board, but hopefully will get some answers here.
Our '99 Tahoe, which had the engine replaced about 3-4 years ago, about 60,000 miles or so, is starting to give us problems starting. Starts right up in the cool mornings, but after sitting in the hot sun all day when I'm at work, it cranks over, acts like it starts, then dies immediately. 2nd try starts right up, but I think there's a hesitation just before the engine 'catches' and it keeps running. Took it to a shop and they said it needed a tune up-figured it could use one anyway, so we replaced plugs, wires, rotor and cap. That did not solve the problem. Thought it might be the ECT sensor or the ignition module. Replaced both, didn't help, still did the same thing. Now, we'd replaced the entire fuel pump assembly earlier this spring as the old one had died, so the fuel pump is running, and the pressure is holding well, doesn't drop. No codes are being shown, and we put our scan tool on it, which can read codes but it can't delve into the complications like an expensive machine might. All it says is that there are no errors. We had replaced the MAF about a couple years ago too. Seems like it always starts up on the 2nd try, but when it's warm outside, or it's been running and then shut off, the 1st start always makes it die. The idle control looked ok, we took it out and it wasn't broken, and anyway, the truck runs fine, no hesitation, no jerking, no stalling. Nice and smooth idling, the tach doesn't jump around. Anybody hear of this problem before? We've tried to think of everything it could be, but can't figure this one out. Please help if you can. Thanks!

drumrpunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I accidentally posted this same problem on the 2007 + board, but hopefully will get some answers here.
Our '99 Tahoe, which had the engine replaced about 3-4 years ago, about 60,000 miles or so, is starting to give us problems starting. Starts right up in the cool mornings, but after sitting in the hot sun all day when I'm at work, it cranks over, acts like it starts, then dies immediately. 2nd try starts right up, but I think there's a hesitation just before the engine 'catches' and it keeps running. Took it to a shop and they said it needed a tune up-figured it could use one anyway, so we replaced plugs, wires, rotor and cap. That did not solve the problem. Thought it might be the ECT sensor or the ignition module. Replaced both, didn't help, still did the same thing. Now, we'd replaced the entire fuel pump assembly earlier this spring as the old one had died, so the fuel pump is running, and the pressure is holding well, doesn't drop. No codes are being shown, and we put our scan tool on it, which can read codes but it can't delve into the complications like an expensive machine might. All it says is that there are no errors. We had replaced the MAF about a couple years ago too. Seems like it always starts up on the 2nd try, but when it's warm outside, or it's been running and then shut off, the 1st start always makes it die. The idle control looked ok, we took it out and it wasn't broken, and anyway, the truck runs fine, no hesitation, no jerking, no stalling. Nice and smooth idling, the tach doesn't jump around. Anybody hear of this problem before? We've tried to think of everything it could be, but can't figure this one out. Please help if you can. Thanks!

Maybe the O2 sensors? On cold starts, your O2 sensor is not used. The sensors need to be warm and so does the motor before it switches to running off of O2 sensors. So naturally if your engine is warm, your O2 sensors theoretically should start controlling right away. However, does it effect your starting??? I am not sure. What about your IAC?

m1009

Reaction score
Re: sensors

We had replaced all the sensors when we replaced the engine. They only have about 60,000 miles on them. Plus, there are no codes being pulled, and the engine runs great. It's only when we first try to start it that I get this weird problem.
By the way, what is an IAC? Idle control? That's the only thing we didn't replace, but since it's running smoothly and no tach jumping, we didn't think that would be it. Guess we'll have to spend the money and put an expensive diagnostic on it at the GM shop.:ack:

m1009

Reaction score
Re: tahoe start problem-SOLVED!

Ok, we had taken it to the dealers who had it all day and still weren't sure of the problem. Charged us almost $100 for nothing. Wanted us to spend more money as they thought it 'might' be the regulator. That would have been around $400.
We decided to try again ourselves. Bought a fuel pressure gauge, and some longer hose and worked on it all day today. Ruled out the regulater by taking off the return line on the pump-did not get any fuel coming out, so we knew the regulator was ok. Now, the fuel pump had been running, so that's why we didn't think it was bad initially, and it'd been replaced this spring. We noticed that the pump was not building pressure like it should, which is why we checked the regulator that way. Also, there were a couple times where the pump just didn't run, and that cinched it. It was starting to go bad and not building pressure all the time like it should. Luckily, the pump was under warranty, so we replaced it, and so far, so good. Starts right up! The guys at the auto parts shop told me that they have replaced lots of these newer style fuel pumps and they seem so just be defective. So, at least they didn't give me any hassle about it.
Thanks for all your help, appreciate it!;)

Black96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
willamsport PA (college) souderton Pa ( home)
wow thankyou for posting this, my 96 tahoe is doing the same thing, i got the truck with 63k miles on it and it now hittin the 95k mile mark, ive had it for three years and most of it has been highway use, i kinda thought that the pump was the cause of this because it seems to humm longer when startin, and it does that same thing when cold it starts right up, i think sence its electrical sence you run it it gets warm and seems not to build the right pressure. but great post and thanks! your truck have the coolent leak yet or you luck to pass by that problem? lol

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
- be sure to replace the fuel filter when u replace the pump.. -

Neil 98 K5

Reaction score
My '98 does the exact same thing. It rarely does it in the winter though, it just acts up during spring/summer/fall. Glad you found the problem. I've suspected fuel pump for a while, but haven't had time to mess with it. What brand of pump did you go with? I've heard AC Delco is the only one that should be considered, as the generic store brands aren't worth a crap.

Whippled2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, we had taken it to the dealers who had it all day and still weren't sure of the problem. Charged us almost $100 for nothing. Wanted us to spend more money as they thought it 'might' be the regulator. That would have been around $400.
We decided to try again ourselves. Bought a fuel pressure gauge, and some longer hose and worked on it all day today. Ruled out the regulater by taking off the return line on the pump-did not get any fuel coming out, so we knew the regulator was ok. Now, the fuel pump had been running, so that's why we didn't think it was bad initially, and it'd been replaced this spring. We noticed that the pump was not building pressure like it should, which is why we checked the regulator that way. Also, there were a couple times where the pump just didn't run, and that cinched it. It was starting to go bad and not building pressure all the time like it should. Luckily, the pump was under warranty, so we replaced it, and so far, so good. Starts right up! The guys at the auto parts shop told me that they have replaced lots of these newer style fuel pumps and they seem so just be defective. So, at least they didn't give me any hassle about it.
Thanks for all your help, appreciate it!;)

What brand pump were you using? AC Delco or aftermarket? I've heard aftermarket ones dieing only a couple months of being put in. Congrats on finding the problem. I have 142K miles on my stock pump but I think its nearing its end.