Hello, new to Forum, I got instrument problems; gauges malfunctioning.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jack_leg

Reaction score
I have a few Tahoes and my 4x4 2001 LT is acting up.
The gauges will quit working and start working after running awhile. One gauge at a time they will start working properly. It also has a current draw of around .665 amps. It will drain the battery after a few days without running. The current draw stops when I pull the 15amp fuse under the hood for the radio.

With the radio fuse out the gauges don’t work at all so I’m thinking there is a short between them.

Do you think the fault lay with the radio or the gauges?
Anyone have these problems?

Thanks.

Own 4x4 2001 LT Tahoe
Also have 4x4 2004 LT Tahoe

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a few Tahoes and my 4x4 2001 LT is acting up.
The gauges will quit working and start working after running awhile. One gauge at a time they will start working properly. It also has a current draw of around .665 amps. It will drain the battery after a few days without running. The current draw stops when I pull the 15amp fuse under the hood for the radio.

With the radio fuse out the gauges don’t work at all so I’m thinking there is a short between them.

Do you think the fault lay with the radio or the gauges?
Anyone have these problems?

Thanks.

Own 4x4 2001 LT Tahoe
Also have 4x4 2004 LT Tahoe

This is all very interesting actually... the gauges going out on these trucks is quite a bit more common than you would think! my oil pressure gauge is out right now and I am just being lazy to take it into the dealer and have them fix it (covered under my extended warranty)

I am trying to think what could possibly be wrong with the Draw, it sounds like the fault might lay somewhere between the battery and the radio. or possibly the radio unit itself. Just a thought

Jack_leg

Reaction score
Fluster Cuck

When I first crank the truck the tach, speedo, and fuel gauge do not work. After I drive for 30 minutes the gauges start working one at a time. The fuel, then the tach and then the speedo.

I started having problems with the truck discharging the battery when it wasn’t driven for a few days. I started testing to see if it had a current draw. With just the hood up, (doors closed) hood lamp unplugged I had a draw of .665 amps. I started unplugging fuses and when I got to the radio fuse the draw when to .075 amps. I plugged back the fuse and unplugged the instrument cluster and the current draw went back to .075 amps.

So, it is somehow pulling down the power. I think it has a short that acts interment within the cluster.