I can feel the road through my steering wheel... why

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought my 04 Z71... so maybe this is normal but I don't think so.

When I am driving, i can feel the road conditions through my steering wheel. It just doesnt feel right to me (i know this is a bad description but i dont know how to describe this very well)

Originally I thought that maybe my suspension was a little worn (and still may be) but i feel something totally different through my steering wheel...

Any ideas on what it is and how to fix it?

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing I'd check are tire pressures, and the condition of the tires in general.

Tire pressure is always at 34lbs... and my tires are nearly new... although they are Goodyear GT2's (total peices of crap) they are in great condition

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
might want to look at the front shocks. dont know how many miles you have but factory shocks arent that great and maybe leaking.

tnezukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire pressure is always at 34lbs... and my tires are nearly new... although they are Goodyear GT2's (total peices of crap) they are in great condition

I just got an Onstar diagnostics report not long ago and it said that the tires should be at 36 psi. Idk if Z71's are any different and I'm sure that's not your problem, just wanted to let ya know. Maybe will help out with MPG a little. Good luck!

oomindwarpoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I had the same problem I understand what you're talking about.. It's the tire pressure. I checked mine and they were all 5lbs under after a cold night!? I aired them back up and it stays at 36psi.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I had the same problem I understand what you're talking about.. It's the tire pressure. I checked mine and they were all 5lbs under after a cold night!? I aired them back up and it stays at 36psi.

Over the last week i have tried three different PSI combos. 31lbs, 36lbs, and 41lbs... although i noticed a few differences with each combo, I still have the steering wheel issue... my next guess would be suspension, but I have never felt what i am feeling in my steering wheel

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think your suspension would be very worn since your truck isn't that old. Does this only happen at high speeds? Maybe it's the front alignment. If you can't think of anything else then a front alignment is very cheap. And as long as you are keeping your tires at the recommended pressure, then the tires themselves are probably not to blame.

IndigoDUBDUB

Reaction score
Larger wheels with lower profile wider tires transmit more road feel into the steering wheel... I went from stock to 22" and I can definitely feel every joint in the highway now... the price you pay, right?

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Larger wheels with lower profile wider tires transmit more road feel into the steering wheel... I went from stock to 22" and I can definitely feel every joint in the highway now... the price you pay, right?

this was also on my mind... i still dont think that is it... dont get me wrong, i dont expect to feel that denali/escalade air ride wonder; i just feel like there is something more than just the standard/expected road feel...

maybe i am looking to far into this but i really dont think so

rdfamily

Reaction score
I wonder if we're experiencing the same thing? My steering feels almost loose. Every bump I hit transmits through my steering column and wheel. Please update if you figure your issue out, I'll do the same.

BTW, mine is an '04 Yukon, purchased in July.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if we're experiencing the same thing? My steering feels almost loose. Every bump I hit transmits through my steering column and wheel. Please update if you figure your issue out, I'll do the same.

BTW, mine is an '04 Yukon, purchased in July.

This is exactly what i am talking about! It doesnt feel like wheels, POSSIBLY bad front suspension but this feeling is new to me

I would love to know what this is... i plan to take it in for soon to have it looked at if I fail to diagnose it myself...

Tell me, do you have aftermarket parts on your ride? Do you have large rims or aftermarket rims?

rdfamily

Reaction score
No aftermarket rims, and I don't think there's aftermarket suspension on it.

I've been reading some of the other threads and I'm thinking it's the intermediate shaft. As soon as I figure out what that is, I'll check it out! HA! (Actually I'll have my husband check it out...he DOES know what that is)

lilsolo68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have that same problem but i can also hear mine. it sounds like something in the steering system has a little play in it. also it only does right after i hit some bumps in the road.

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yup, the recommended pressures are always COLD pressures - best way to measure it is after the car has been sitting all night. You'd be surprised - just driving from my house to the gas station down the street the pressures all went up by 2 psi!

It's a good time to remember to check tire pressures as we end summer and head towards the winter. Read somewhere that tire pressures may drop 1 psi for every 10 degrees Fahrenheit of ambient temperature. That means as we go from 90 degree summers to 30 degree winters you may lose 6 psi.

Jack_leg

Reaction score
STEERING COLUMN / Noise under hood

This is a common problem with the 04. There was a notice:

Component Description:
1. STEERING: COLUMN
Bulletin Number 000235003N
Bulletin Date: APR 2008
Vehicle: 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe
Summary:
CLUNKING NOISE UNDER HOOD AND CAN BE FELT IN STEERING WHEEL AND/OR STEERING COLUMN (REPLACE UPPER INTERMEDIATE STEERING SHAFT [I-SHAFT] ASSEMBLY). ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10025148 )

See it for yourself:
http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/...odel=Tahoe&style=LT+Rwd+4dr+SUV+(5.3L+8cyl+4A)

or more directly here:
http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/...odel=Tahoe&style=LT+Rwd+4dr+SUV+(5.3L+8cyl+4A) - 1

Hope your warranty is still good. Good luck, just get them to fix it. My 04 Tahoe does it too. I haven’t been in to get them to work on it yet.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a common problem with the 04. There was a notice:

Component Description:
1. STEERING: COLUMN
Bulletin Number 000235003N
Bulletin Date: APR 2008
Vehicle: 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe
Summary:
CLUNKING NOISE UNDER HOOD AND CAN BE FELT IN STEERING WHEEL AND/OR STEERING COLUMN (REPLACE UPPER INTERMEDIATE STEERING SHAFT [I-SHAFT] ASSEMBLY). ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10025148 )

See it for yourself:
http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/...odel=Tahoe&style=LT+Rwd+4dr+SUV+(5.3L+8cyl+4A)

or more directly here:
http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/...odel=Tahoe&style=LT+Rwd+4dr+SUV+(5.3L+8cyl+4A) - 1

Hope your warranty is still good. Good luck, just get them to fix it. My 04 Tahoe does it too. I haven’t been in to get them to work on it yet.

If you were a chic i would kiss you!! Still have warranty and it covers this part... i love you!