Help!! Power Steering Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevy2inreno

Reaction score
I have a 1999 4X4 Tahoe w 5.7. Was backing my boat and trailer into the driveway, steering at full lock, engine under load trying to back over the curb. Hear a small noise, not sure what it was. Power steering is now completely gone, nothing. However, no leaks and no noise like bad pump or steering box, just no assist on the steering.

Is there a pressure relief valve on the pump or box that has opened? If so, can it be reset or does the unit need to be replaced? Or is it electrical like EVO sensor or something else?

Thanks,

Dave

Neil 98 K5

Reaction score
Sounds like it may have snapped the pump shaft (shaft that the pulley is attached to, where you check the fluid). I've seen guys with lifts/big tires do that. See if the belt tension is pulling the pulley crooked, or take off the belt and see if it has alot of play in it or falls apart in your hands, lol.:)

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i agree, happened to me, pump turning ok, shaft snapped interally in pump.

chevy2inreno

Reaction score
Wow, your guys are good. I dropped the belt, and the pulley-and what was left of the shaft-pulled right out of the pump. Snapped the shaft about 2 inches in. Any tricks, or issues, on installing a new pump? never done one before.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no tricks to talk about. i believe when i did mine the tank was did not come with the new pump, that has to be swappped over, very easy to do. the pump unbolts easily, especially with the pulley now removed. you will need a puller to get the shaft out of the pulley, and a long bolt and HEAVY washer to pull the pulley onto the pump. any questions post them asap.